Cecil Harvey

Any NJIT students or alums into shooting? Interested in organizing trips for students to the range?

I'm an NJIT alum who graduated in 2002. When I was a student, a friend of mine took me shooting on a few occasions, and I had a fantastic time. I would have continued to go shooting, except:

• I didn’t have a car
  • I was a broke college student

I graduated, paid off debt, bought a house, got married, had kids, and finally picked up the hobby again when I had the means. And I want to do for NJIT students what my friend did for me years ago. But I’d like to do it at a larger scale.

I was inspired by Tony Simon's 2nd is for Everyone and Diversity shoots, and I'd like to give back to my alma mater in a particular way. I’d like to facilitate monthly range trips for NJIT students. I'm open to everything from an informal group that just gets a van to ride over from NJIT to Gun For Hire for quick safety instruction followed by an hour of rimfire, to a full blown club/school USPSA team. I'm also willing to foot some of the bill for this sort of thing, and seek other sponsors. I'd want this to be ideally no cost for students, at least first-timers. If not free, at least low cost. 

The thing is, I still hang out with some of my friends from those days, but despite the fact that I live only a few miles from campus, I've not kept any connection to the student body or alumni organizations at large. If there are any students or active alumni interested, and want to either form a club or do something informal, please reach out to me.

I think if we want to win this fight long term, we need to get younger people from NJ who have zero exposure to guns to have positive exposure to the shooting sports. Lord knows that guns are demonized on virtually all college campuses. If I'm successful here, I'm happy to expand it to other schools in the area. 

• Like 2