I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one. I am new to firearms and was given two very old single-shot shotguns. My only problem is that I was given the guns by a friend whos grandfather had been the original owner. My question is how do I make these gun legally mine without any sort of paper trail? Any info would be great.

-Scott

There is no registration of firearms in NJ.

To make it legally yours, all you need to do is make sure you can legally own the shotgun, it is legal in NJ, and to cover all bases, fill out the certificate of eligibility... found on the nj state police website.

While inheriting firearms is covered under NJ law, this is not the case with your transfer. You did not inherit these firearms. Your friend did who then transfered them to you.

If you are in possession of a NJ FID card, there is no problem. If not, the transfer would not be a legal one.

While inheriting firearms is covered under NJ law, this is not the case with your transfer. You did not inherit these firearms. Your friend did who then transfered them to you.

If you are in possession of a NJ FID card, there is no problem. If not, the transfer would not be a legal one.

Great info thank you very much!

Well I am not in possession of my FID yet but I am being told by my municipality that it will be less then a week. Once I recieve that FID what do I do next to show that they are legally mine? Is that were the eligibility form comes into play that Max was refering too?

-Scott

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf

That is the form you will need.

Thanks Max! So if I understand this right, The two of use fill this form out and we each keep a copy for our own records and that is it? Or do I have to file a copy with the state or Municipality?

-Scott

two copies, one person gets to hold each... thats all there is to it. As long as you have FID.

Only with handguns, you fill out the 4 part pistol permit. Buyer gets a copy, seller gets a copy, then seller mails one copy to state police, and mails another copy to the issuing municipality.

Awesome thanks guys! You made this a lot easier then I thought it was gunna be to get these guns to be legal. Next step is getting my FID in my hands so I can fill these forms out. Then it is off the the range to see how well they shoot and handle! SS and BA both allow shotguns correct? Do they both have ammo for them as well?

-Scott

Awesome thanks guys! You made this a lot easier then I thought it was gunna be to get these guns to be legal. Next step is getting my FID in my hands so I can fill these forms out. Then it is off the the range to see how well they shoot and handle! SS and BA both allow shotguns correct? Do they both have ammo for them as well?

-Scott

Yes you can shoot them at both places, i know SS has shotty ammo as i saw it there last night but am uncertain of BA. Since you will have a FID when you go to shoot, you might want to go buy ammo before going to the range. Save yourself a couple bucks.

Sorry, this is a little off topic as the original question has been answered but i would like to comment on the ammo question.

I try to support my local range by buying my ammo from them. The extra dollar or two goes a long way towards building up a good relationship if you intend to use then regularly. Case in point, last time I wanted them to order a pistol, I called and told them when I wanted. he said he would check price and availability. They called 10 minutes and price was reasonable so i told him I wanted it. They ordered it for me over the phone with no deposit, just because he knew me and knew I would follow through with the purchase.

I do reload 9mm for my steel shoots and tactical shoots so I can customize the loads. Not only do they not mind, they advise me on what to use and what the charge should be.

Just my .02

Sorry, this is a little off topic as the original question has been answered but i would like to comment on the ammo question.

I try to support my local range by buying my ammo from them. The extra dollar or two goes a long way towards building up a good relationship if you intend to use then regularly. Case in point, last time I wanted them to order a pistol, I called and told them when I wanted. he said he would check price and availability. They called 10 minutes and price was reasonable so i told him I wanted it. They ordered it for me over the phone with no deposit, just because he knew me and knew I would follow through with the purchase.

I do reload 9mm for my steel shoots and tactical shoots so I can customize the loads. Not only do they not mind, they advise me on what to use and what the charge should be.

Just my .02

I agree about supporting the ranges but my last trip to shoot a 50rd. box of 9mm was $26. A few bucks I can live with but doubling the price is a large pill to swallow. To the range's defense, I am not a member yet and I know the give members discounts on ammo etc. I know I am in the expensive end of the stick, so until I decide where I am going to become a member I am looking for the best bang for my buck(no pun intended). Once I become a regular in one range or another I will support as much as I can.

Thanks for the info guys, I am very happy I found this site. I like that we can have discussions and learn from one enother without having arguements and such. I dont miss the online arguements that I encountered on car/truck/performance forums one bit! :mrgreen:

-Scott