gunforhire

Your First Firearm

but did not know that about the rugers

Ruger does not recommend dry firing their Mk series extensively. They state that the firing pin will eventually be damaged and will require replacement.

The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.

but did not know that about the rugers

Ruger does not recommend dry firing their Mk series extensively. They state that the firing pin will eventually be damaged and will require replacement.

The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.

Query - I saw somewhere a guy recommending you pick up an expended .22 cartridge, mark it in such a fashion as it is immediately obvious as your "training" brass when you do a chamber check (sharpie or similar) prior to the dry-fire exercise, and place that in the chamber to allow you to dry-fire the .22 without risking damage to firing pin, as the expended brass "cushions" the pin.

Thoughts?

Query - I saw somewhere a guy recommending you pick up an expended .22 cartridge, mark it in such a fashion as it is immediately obvious as your "training" brass when you do a chamber check (sharpie or similar) prior to the dry-fire exercise, and place that in the chamber to allow you to dry-fire the .22 without risking damage to firing pin, as the expended brass "cushions" the pin.

Thoughts?

I've got a Mk III and use snap caps for dry firing. As an instructor, I would reccomend against putting anything in the chamber that resembles brass, marked or not. Almost any gunshop will have snap caps, or they can be ordered online. Got mine from Cheyenne Mountain. These safety items are made in a red color for centerfire calibers. I've seen blue and silver for .22's. They are made in these colors for a reason, so that would never be mistaken for a live cartridge. $10.00 - $15.00 is worth the safety factor.

Safe shooting guys