Nj2020

Reference Email Not Received

My friend used me as a reference for the firearms purchaser identification card application process. At the time the application was submitted, there was a problem with my email account and I could not receive emails. That problem has been resolved, but I have not yet received the email. My understanding is that they will resend the email if they don’t receive a reply. Does anyone know how long they wait before resending the email? It’s been over a week at this point. Thank you

There's standard email retries built into the spec for email. The operator of the MTA sending the mail can set them to whatever they would like, but typically the last retry before promoting the temporary failure to permanent is within 7 days. So if your mail was broken for over a week it more than likely completely failed. 

At that point it would be up to whatever the exception process is in the fars process to add another contact or retry yours. IIRC there is a way to do that, but since I haven't had to do it, I don't know it off the top of my head. 

From the FAQ

"What can I do if my reference hasn’t received the email or hasn’t submitted the feedback? top

While the system sends two reminder emails to references who haven’t submitted the feedback, you can contact your municipal police department to request them to resend the email or to update the reference."

7 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

There's standard email retries built into the spec for email. The operator of the MTA sending the mail can set them to whatever they would like, but typically the last retry before promoting the temporary failure to permanent is within 7 days. So if your mail was broken for over a week it more than likely completely failed. 

At that point it would be up to whatever the exception process is in the fars process to add another contact or retry yours. IIRC there is a way to do that, but since I haven't had to do it, I don't know it off the top of my head. 

From the FAQ

"What can I do if my reference hasn’t received the email or hasn’t submitted the feedback? top

While the system sends two reminder emails to references who haven’t submitted the feedback, you can contact your municipal police department to request them to resend the email or to update the reference."

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I had the problem with the email fixed within a couple of days, so I was hoping to receive the email soon after. If they received an undeliverable error they may have just stopped trying , but hopefully not.

9 hours ago, Nj2020 said:

If I Need to call for assistance, would  I call the local department or state? 

FAQ says call the department you will be getting the permits from, and they in theory can press the button to resend it. 

2 hours ago, Handyman said:

I'd start with whoever the processing agency was.

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

FAQ says call the department you will be getting the permits from, and they in theory can press the button to resend it. 

Thanks