Sign in to follow this  
1911Fan

Dillon Powder Measure

I've been researching reloading equipment recently and I read mixed reviews on Dillon's Powder Measure. :x

I hear there is a lot of variation in the amount of powder dropped from one load to the next.

My concern is that I would like to reload quality match loads in .308 and I have been told that throwing 45.2 vs 45.5 grains of powder would make a neg difference that would be easy to notice.

Would you get a Dillon 550 or 650 if you wanted to load QUALITY MATCH LOADS for your long range rig or would you go with another type of setup? Lee classic turret or even dare I say, a single stage press? Repeatable Accuracy and precision of these loads would be very important to me.

Also, who makes the absolute best dies for this type of application in your opinion? Feel free to say why.

Does anyone have any thoughts they would like to share?

Thanks in advance guys.

If I was spending the money on a Dillon for rifle loading it would be the 650. I would prefer the auto indexing over manual.

I use the dillon powder measures for all of my pistol ammo and they work fine. I throw everything form 2.8 gr to 22 gr accurately and consistantly. I use ball powder and Trail Boss. No problems at all.

For rifle I use a single stage still and a Uniflow Powder mearure with stick powder, which some have said is a no no. You have shot my loads, how did they perform?

You will not notice a difference in .2 gr of fluctuation when you are loading 40+ gr in a round. At least I can't.

My next press will be a Lee Classic Turret for loading rifle on.

TB's comments were right on and probably the norm for Dillon owners.

The Dillon measure works best with ball powder. I prep all my cases (Resize, trim, chamfer and prime) then store. when I load match loads for my rifles, gas or bolt I measure each powder charge on a separate powder measure and trickle up to the exact powder charge.

For field or practice loads in some gas guns using ball powder, I will run them through the Dillon using the Dillon measure. the results are very good. Using a stick powder such as the popular IMR4895 not as uniform. I still use the prepped cases but start them on station two.

While it's nice, I don't miss auto indexing at all.