Sign in to follow this  
Genewarper111

one-handgun-a-month - - need a concerted, moderate campaign

. and one place we might start is here:

http://www.nj.com/forums/statehouse/

there were NO posts here regarding the bill - it seems to be preoccupied with national issues. Let's introduce our ideas there and see what happens.

As a strategy I think we should use only a small number of NRA-style arguments. Rather we should concentrate on using the facts - whatever we can muster AND document - about gun crime, use of legitimately purchased weapons in crimes, use of weapons from out of state in crime, crimes committed by legit weapon owners, police estimates of numbers of illegal weapons etc etc, and combine them with questions about restrictions on civil liberties, gentle reminders about nanny-statism, illustrations of false arguments presented in the Jun 26th debate and so on.

We need to illustrate how the State (and other?) police forces apparently impose additional restrictions on FFL holders (the "Ammo Book Rule" for example - is this a law, or not? IF not, where does it come from? Who is driving and supporting it?) and use these as illustrations of what may be happening in other areas - to point out that individuals (some, not all) MAY be setting their own agendas in excess of the law in many fields - gun control being one.

We need to work on this from several angles - simply going out and banging on about the 2nd A isn't going to get us anywhere and where we do present a 2nd A argument, it needs to be balanced and address the subtlties IN the argument (such as the distinction between "people" and "persons", for example).

We need to refrain from playground name calling (eg "Korzine") and be prepared to give points as well as attempt to take them. Most of all, we need to be rational and steady and present ourselves as law-abiding people who are as interested in safety as the next person and this being the case - I think we should make our core argument that making it more difficult for law-abiding people to do things legally will not stop criminals from doing things illegally, and in the case of guns and handguns, the legislation is designed to control the fear of what might happen, rather than what actually does happen.

The Governor recently signed an Executive Order that allows him to convene a panel to review all existing gun control legislation in NJ - one of its missions is to report on the effect of the recent bill on gun -related crime. THis report ought to be a major target of ours. Let's get to it.

happy shooting

G

..... slight aside.....

what got Mr Miller started in Gun Control? Was there a key event? Can this and his response to it be used to discredit his arguments? (and for the record, I think we should target the arguments, not the man - unless we can prove beyond a doubt that he somehow profits from all this, we need to assume - believe even - that, like us, he believes that his viewpoint is correct).

This is going to take time and VOTES.

happy shooting

G

ok - so some things ought to be clear to everyone, imo

First, we should never attack Mr Miller personally. No more "Cryin' Bryan". He lost his brother in the line of duty. Worse, tragically the late Agent Miller was not the intended target.

Second, in many ways Mr Miller is (or ought to be) seen as being on the same side as legitimate gun owners - he is pro-safety, pro-responsibility...

One important question is whether it was legal at the time to purchase the Mac10 used to kill the late Agent Miller - does anyone know?

Also - we need to take note of the dedication with which Mr Miller and his colleagues have built their campaign and the time taken, because that is what we will need if we wish to reverse any of their successes. As said elsewhere in the forum, we need to build this in NJ - relying on the NRA will never do, if for no reason other than the image of Mr Heston clutching his Davy Crocket musket will brand the NRA forever as slightly nutty.

Let's start thinking about fresh ways to build a movement for the acceptance of safe gun ownership and usage in NJ and seriously considering what would be acceptable to us - one handgun a month? 7-day cool-off? Mandatory training? Whatever....

As Mr Miller said - their successes came through advocacy and creating the problem in the minds of NJ voters. We need to do the same. Self-righteous protesting will get us nowhere.

Happy Shooting

G

Check this out - I got her to respond to me - a little too late, but still, she was on the right side:

Thank you for contacting me on Senate Bill 1774, which prohibits individuals from purchasing more than one handgun in a calendar month. I appreciate your kind words of support.

As you know, I strongly oppose bills and laws which infringe on an honest citizen's right to own firearms. Consequently, I voted no both times S-1774 came before me in the State Senate. Regretfully, despite my efforts, this bill passed the Senate and now rests with the governor who I fully anticipate will sign it into law.

This bill will do nothing to prevent crime or stop people intent on causing harm from obtaining guns. What it will do, however, is trample on an individual's constitutional right to bear arms and make an already arduous and difficult process to purchase a gun even more so.

I appreciate your also sharing with me your frustration about the current state of affairs in New Jersey. Like you, I was born and raised here and have always been proud to call New Jersey my home. However, you are right; legislation like S-1774 along with the current tax burden are making it increasingly difficult to feel this way.

As you may know, my time in the Senate will come to an end this November so I also want to take this opportunity to let you know what an honor and pleasure it has been to represent you and this wonderful District in the Senate. I wish you and your family the best of luck whatever decision you make regarding your future.

Thank you, again, for contacting me about this important issue.

Sincerely,

Marcia

Marcia A. Karrow

Senator

District 23

One Maple Avenue

Flemington, NJ 08822

(908) 782-5127 phone

(908) 788-2625 fax

[email protected]

Let's assume for a moment that a reasonable and moderate campaign for our rights is actually possible at this late date. Who do we have, specifically, to be the front man for such a campaign and represent our interests in this state. I keep reading about Bryan wandering the hallowed halls of Trenton, knocking on doors and gaining face time with the powers that be, but what is the name of the person who we depend on to counter his (and others just like him) propaganda? Just a name and contact information would be nice. I'd like to meet him/her. If they really exist.