GrumpyOldRetiree

Does FARS notify you when PP's are approved?

More accurately the notification is once they've been released through FARS. It's possible it can be "approved" some days before they push the button. It is mildly irritating. But it will include the number of permits and at least the first 90 day expiration time. (It might have the full 180 day end date as well).

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

More accurately the notification is once they've been released through FARS. It's possible it can be "approved" some days before they push the button. It is mildly irritating. But it will include the number of permits and at least the first 90 day expiration time. (It might have the full 180 day end date as well).

I don’t understand what you mean by “more accurately”.

10 hours ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

This is the first time I am using FARS to apply for purchase permits.

I got notified when my 2 references responded.

Will FARS also send a notification when the permits are approved?

Additionally, how/when do I pay my town for the permits?

You might be interested to know, I received four permits last year. On my application confirmation, one of the items listed is "Payment to the Issuing Police Department": $8.00. 
That $8.00 was apparently the fee for the four permits, because when I received my notification that the permits were ready, they were immediately ready to go. I never had to go into the department to pay. It looks like the $8.00 was me paying in advance. So maybe it varies from department to department. so that some want to you go in after you're approved, others want you to pay in advance when you apply online. ???
If you have a similar item on your application confirmation, you may already have paid.