45Doll

Elvis' S&W Model 53 Sells For...

More than you have!

Elvis Presley's Smith & Wesson Revolver Sells for $200K at Auction (breitbart.com)

According to the comments it's in .22 Jet, which I have never heard of.

The M53 was chambered for a 22 Jet which is a 357 Magnum case necked down to a 22. It practically duplicates the ballistics of the 5.56 Nato. The M53 came with a spare cylinder in 22 LR.

The 22 Jet is an interesting round that didn't really prove out.  Great in concept but in a revolver it caused problems.  Note the taper in the cartridge - when fired the brass would expand slightly like every other round and when it did it would back out of the cylinder a bit and jam the cylinder.   I had one briefly when I was collecting S&W revolvers, but sold it when I got a decent offer for it.  You don't see them come up very often.

VINTAGE-FULL-BOX-22-REMINGTON-inch-JETinch-MAG-AMMO-40GR-SOFT-POINT-REMINGTON-HI-SPEED-0122-SUPER-CL_100839272_83408_5353871754174ECA.JPG

• Informative 1

19 hours ago, 45Doll said:

The M53 came with a spare cylinder in 22 LR.

That was an option not standard. Standard, it came with chamber inserts that allowed the use of .22 LR. The hammer had a switch that changed the firing pin for use with either centerfire (.22 Jet) or rimfire (.22 LR).

Here's mine...

53-B.jpg[/IMG]

All the boxes had the cutout for the extra cylinder and for the chamber inserts. Current going rate for the Model 53 would be appx $1800 - $2800 dependent on barrel length, condition and completeness.

As much as I love S&W, I think that if I had $200K to spend on something I like, it would probably have four wheels.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 1