BCeagle

Favorite accessories for Remington 870

I went to buy the Express Tactical 870 at Cabelas and their computers were down so I walked out empty handed, undaunted I went to the Bullet Hole the next day and picked up a plain Remington 870 and figured I would add my own toys so I can mix and match depending on how I feel.

-I like the side saddle for extra shells,

-I was going to get the pistol grip but I saw a collapsible stock that retracts over the top like the Franchi, anyone have any experience with it?

-Any advice for new sights?

For stock, Id go with a speedfeed fixed stock with pistol grip. Its very difficult to run a shotgun with a pistol grip (collapsed stock or no stock).

For sights, Id go with ghost rings.

I took a 16 hour defensive carbine, shotgun handgun course and a lot of the stuff I thought was dispelled by the instructor. i.e., pistol grip shotgun (no stock), you dont have to aim shotguns, etc etc.

For stock, Id go with a speedfeed fixed stock with pistol grip. Its very difficult to run a shotgun with a pistol grip (collapsed stock or no stock). I agree

For sights, Id go with ghost rings. I agree

I took a 16 hour defensive carbine, shotgun handgun course and a lot of the stuff I thought was dispelled by the instructor. i.e., pistol grip shotgun (no stock), you dont have to aim shotguns, etc etc.

Heat Shield is pretty cool too and definitley does serve its purpose.

Most important accessory to me is a flashlight with tape / pressure switch especially if you are using it for home defense which it sounds like you are.

I think it was $390, may have been $370.

Thanks for the input. Ghost ring sites it is and a flashlight it is.

Its funny I had a great handgun trainer and as soon as I took the shotgun home, I felt much more comfortable with it in the home for some reason. Its definitely for home defense. I was going to head up to the range an get used to it and see if their are NRA classes on proper use.

Good choice on the shotgun. Make sure your grip on the front will function with a side saddle. I had to change the front grip when I bought the six shot side saddle becuase it wouldn't cycle. I also bought a heat shield with the ghost ring sights and didn't like it. Keep it simple and you be happy.

BCeagle that's a great point about how many shots are needed

In my office I keep my Glock .40 with 2 loaded mags of 15 each, and I was telling someone yesterday, if I have to use all 30 of those rounds in a home situation, I'm in big trouble. I mean I guess I could use it to "hold them off" until I can get to my safe downstairs, but I mean, really?

I guess I figure I am not unloading 5 shots in rapid succession unless he is the Flash and I am the worst shot in the state, as long as i have the shells conveniently located I would have time to reload every few shots or pull the HK out.

I have seen some really good discusssions on some forums (firingline?) talking about home defense planning and I assume most guys coming in are armed with either handguns or shotguns and after securing your family you should have a good defensive position to defend yourself until the cops come.

tinyboy, it's either a Tac Star or ATI. I got everything from cheaperthandirt.com

caine, the only thing that's made for a southpaw on that 870 is the shell holder on the colapsible stock. It could mount on either side.

I do own a left handed 870 (Remington 870L Wingmaster) but I don't want to turn it into a home defense gun, it's made for clays.

If your 870 is older (made in the 80's - not sure of exact years) you can simply flip the safety around to make it left handed. If its a newer version 870, you can take your gun to a gunsmith and he can make the safety left handed for a nominal fee, depending on where you go. I don't know if the trigger group needs to be changed / modified. There is also this from midway....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=463939

People on midway are saying this review was very helpful in the installation of above.

Drop in installation in an 870 in 5 minutes with very little effort and minimal tools. Make sure your weapon is unloaded of course. Remove the two pins holding in the trigger group, remove trigger group, remove the retaining pin for the safety spring and ball. It is not necessary to remove the spring or ball from the housing. Push the old right hand safety out, put this one in, making sure the trigger cut out lines up with the trigger. Reinstall everything in reverse order. Test for proper operation before you reinstall! Has the added benefit of oversize safety button on the left side. I picked up 3 for all my 870's.

Errrrr you could just sell your right handed model and order a left handed one ! It will even eject the shells on the correct side. :p

Thanks for the info guys. I went with a mossberg because of the ambi safety, but part of me still wants an 870. I'll have to put some pennies aside and pick one up just for sh*ts and giggles one of these days.