Bob D

My New Garand Stock

Go to a decent woodworking shop such as http://www.rockler.com/index.cfm and get PURE Tung oil. Don't get the Minwax or other Lowe's or Home Depot brands. They are not pure and contain varnish that will build to a shine.

By the way, do you have a handguard clip plier to remove and install that part? Without it you risk cracking the handguard. If needed, maybe you can borrow one. They are cheap so think about getting one.

Lightly go over the stock with a fine grade of steel wool, then wipe it down with mineral spirits. (make sure you have adequate ventilation)

Cut some with mineral spirits and work it into the stock. I hand rub it into my stocks. Let the coats dry 24 hours and start again. After a few coats add a small amount of the mineral oil and start again.

This will protect the wood without building a glossy shine.

I have an H&R arriving tomorrow. If the stock is decent, I'll strip it down, clean it and start the above process. The last one I did this way turned out great but it is time consuming. It's a great winter project.

I have a Springfield being rebuilt by a friend in Texas but that one will come back with a Wenig stock. They are really a work of art almost too nice to shoot.

I just received a New Stock from the CMP for my Garand Rifle.

It looks just great and even though it is finished, I was wondering

what I could put on the wood to protect it.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob I don't like you. I said, what the heck is CMP. I did some research and went, oh good lord, there goes my next paycheck. Too many nice things to buy off of there.

Yes, but don't cut the entire bottle. Just a small amount. It allows it to soak in quicker. You will find true pure Tung Oil is like maple syrup. One pint will last a lifetime.

As a matter of fact, I just left the FedEx man who dropped off my newest Garand. Stock will need cleaning but the metal looks very good. It is my first to have the grenade launcher mount on it. I might actually leave it on after the refinishing.