Sign in to follow this  
bok

How a NYC resident can shoot in NJ legally?

Hi guys,

I am new shooter and just get a shotgun/rifle license issued by NYC.

I bought Verona shotgun and going to try clay pigeons hunting next weekend in NJ.

But someone told me that I need to have out-of-state permit issued NJ (additionally to my NYC permit) in right order to transport my shotgun over the bridges(NYC to NJ and back) and to be legally able to shoot in NJ.

And opposite guy told me that i need to have just locked case in a trunk, valid NYC license and docs on my shotgun.

Is that correct?

Will be very thankful if you clarify the situation.

Thanks,

Bok.

You can bring anything that is legal for NJ into NJ for a lawful purpose such as target shooting at a range or hunting.

It needs to be in the trunk in a fastened container or package or if there is no separate compartment(like a pickup truck) in a locked container. The firearms must be unloaded.

Malsua,

Thanks for the information,

One more concern: is it legal to shoot in NJ having NYC permit?

Thanks.

There are no permits to shoot in NJ. There is no registration or licensing(except for Carry and purchase). Your NYC permit is just a piece of paper in NJ.

Buying firearms or ammunition is a different issue. You can only buy rifle/shotgun rounds in NJ without a firearms purchaser Identification card, no 9mm, 45acp, etc. Some stores require a FPID to purchase ANY ammo even though the law doesn't require it. You cannot buy any firearms in NJ, including pellet/bb guns which are considered firearms in NJ.

go to new jersey state police website. njsp.org click on the firarms section and read laws pertaing to new jersey.if you want to hunt in new jersey you will need to buy non resident hunting license as long as you have ny hunting license or proof of hunters education class has been taken.

Right, I just want to shoot skeet clays. I dont need any hunting licenses.

I had a discussion with NJ trooper over the phone. He insist that i need to apply for NJ's FID card.

Also i have spoken with a detective, and he said that i dont need anything except named rules for transportation of rifle/shotgun.

It seams like they dont know the Firearm's law or interpreted it on their own mind :)

Right, I just want to shoot skeet clays. I dont need any hunting licenses.

I had a discussion with NJ trooper over the phone. He insist that i need to apply for NJ's FID card.

Planning on buying a firearm or pistol ammunition in NJ? No? Then why would you need a FIREARM PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD?

That's right, you don't.

Also i have spoken with a detective, and he said that i dont need anything except named rules for transportation of rifle/shotgun.

It seams like they dont know the Firearm's law or interpreted it on their own mind :)

And the truth shall set you free! That's the problem with the myriad and confusing jumble of laws in NJ. Unless you actually read them and ask the opinions of experts like Evan Nappen, you can't get the same answer twice out of the police. The detective was correct. The trooper was spouting bs.

Would a NYC Resident even be able to apply for a NJ FPID if he wanted to? He does not have a local NJ Police department, so would have to go through the State Police.. even if that's possible?

I'll have to dig out my COE's from when I bought gun's in PA and I know that some of them have N/A or just lines where "Sellers FPID" should be.. I want to double check the one's from cabela's.. I'd be willing to bet, it doesn't have it there either.

Would a NYC Resident even be able to apply for a NJ FPID if he wanted to? He does not have a local NJ Police department, so would have to go through the State Police.. even if that's possible?

I'll have to dig out my COE's from when I bought gun's in PA and I know that some of them have N/A or just lines where "Sellers FPID" should be.. I want to double check the one's from cabela's.. I'd be willing to bet, it doesn't have it there either.

Non residents can get a FPID through the state police as you said. I think the police get 45 days instead of 30 but otherwise the process is the same.

So I'll have a meeting on next Monday with the expert (a detective, who helps me out), probably we will find out the proper way...

Thank you for your reply, guys!

If you're going to spend quite alot of time in NJ shooting it doesn't hurt to get a FPID. It costs about $65 and some time getting fingerprinted.

If you're just going to go shoot occasionally, don't bother.

Good luck.

If you're just going to go shoot occasionally, don't bother.
Great advice!

I shoot at Thunder Mountain occasionally and I have seen cars with NY plates many times with the shooters transporting their shotguns to and from the range.

Don't worry! Enjoy !

Last update: After all those ping-pong conversations I submitted docs for NJ FID card.

Nobody didn't prove that I need or I don't need to have legal papers while shooting in NJ.

Just to make myself covered from all that crap they saying I decided to get that card (just $65 extra) .

That is the story :(

Last update: After all those ping-pong conversations I submitted docs for NJ FID card.

Nobody didn't prove that I need or I don't need to have legal papers while shooting in NJ.

Just to make myself covered from all that crap they saying I decided to get that card (just $65 extra) .

Did you need us to cite the laws?

I once was pulled over in state for making a right on red when there was NO sign saying "no right no red". I was in the clear and explained this to the officer when he stated "I pulled you over for making a right on red". I then asked him again and he confirmed his belief that right-on-red was illegal in NJ no matter what, when, or where. I wish I could have said that someone who is tasked with enforcing the laws of the land ought to know the laws of the land. I kept my mouth shut and got a warning :rolleyes:

I can't trust advice of officers anymore.

What was his last case about? Was it gun owner related? Im just curious. It is unbelievable how sometimes cops don't know the law they are supposed to enforce. It is a bit scary especially if you get pulled over and you have to tell them you have a gun in the car. I guess you better prove you are coming back from a range.

What was his last case about? Was it gun owner related? Im just curious. It is unbelievable how sometimes cops don't know the law they are supposed to enforce. It is a bit scary especially if you get pulled over and you have to tell them you have a gun in the car. I guess you better prove you are coming back from a range.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to tell them unless they ask or you want to tell them for some reason. It's just like having your Dewalt power saw in the backseat as long as you are legally in possession of the firearms and they are being transported properly.

Good idea.

I know nobody wants to hear this, but if you meet with the detective and rely on the information he gives you, it does NOT protect you from criminal charges if he's wrong and you follow his directions and end up breaking the law, anyway.

Generally, ignorance of the law or misinterpretation of the law is only a defense when you have relied on an authority figure whose job it is to provide interpretations of the law (.e.g Attorney General and Department of Justice opinions and procedures). Detectives in the police force are not usually considered an appropriate authority.

So, while this detective might be giving you advice and he might make you feel more comfortable about the steps you're taking, if he's wrong, it's still your butt that ends up in jail.

Just a heads up.