Sign in to follow this  
NickySantoro

New Jersey handgun permit

It's been quite a while since I got one and am about to list some handguns for sale. I can't find a couple of the permits and I don't want to have to go the the cop shop and ask for copies if I don't have to. Thus I am wondering what seller info goes on the permits now. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. A link to a sample of the actual permit would be ideal.

It's been quite a while since I got one and am about to list some handguns for sale. I can't find a couple of the permits and I don't want to have to go the the cop shop and ask for copies if I don't have to. Thus I am wondering what seller info goes on the permits now. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. A link to a sample of the actual permit would be ideal.

Name, Address, maybe phone number if I recall correctly.. then of course.. the make/model/serial/caliber of the gun.

You don't NEED the permits you used to buy the handgun you are now selling, but make sure you don't loose the copy of the (new) buyer's permit you will keep.. to cover your behind in case anything should happen down the line.

Also make sure to forward the copies to the appropriate police departments.

You(seller) fill in the following.

Weapon info:

serial number

make, model, caliber

date of sale

new/used

Seller info:

Name

Address

Signature of seller

SSI number (voluntary) yea right :roll:

FPID/SBI number

You retain blue copy.

Buyer gets pink copy.

Within 5 days

You send issuing authority the yellow copy.

You send of superintendent of State Police the white copy.

Hope that helps

sandcast69

FPID/SBI number

Thanks to you and coldsolderjoint for the info. Am I correct in assuming that the FPID (Firearm Purchase ID?) number is the control number of the permit I used to buy the gun? What does "SBI stand for"? Unless another search turns up the paperwork, it looks as if I have to get copies to get those numbers. This goes back about twenty years so I hope they are still on file at the cop shop.

FPID/SBI number

Thanks to you and coldsolderjoint for the info. Am I correct in assuming that the FPID (Firearm Purchase ID?) number is the control number of the permit I used to buy the gun? What does "SBI stand for"? Unless another search turns up the paperwork, it looks as if I have to get copies to get those numbers. This goes back about twenty years so I hope they are still on file at the cop shop.

I'm like 99% sure the SBI Number is your FID Number. State Police Bureau of Investigation #?..

So you should be good to go. Just fill out the buyer's permits (be careful of where to sign if not a dealer).. send the appropriate copies to the police departments, and for extra CYA.. you can have a Bill of Sale. (I have a copy of a fillable PDF if you would like it).

SBI stand for

State Bureau Identification... That is the control number linking you to any future applications or purchases.

As the seller, you are only required to fill out the purchaser's permits if handguns. I would verify identity if not known to you and check the expiration date of the Pistol Purchase Permit.

What I am still not sure about is whether I am going to have to transfer any info or numbers from my old permit to the seller's new permit. Since I have been so far unable to locate my copy of the permits (although the Mrs thinks they are in the safe deposit box), will I need copies to retrieve any requisite info? To put it charitably, the officer in charge of this is far from obliging and I'd rather not have to deal with him if at all possible.

What I am still not sure about is whether I am going to have to transfer any info or numbers from my old permit to the seller's new permit. Since I have been so far unable to locate my copy of the permits (although the Mrs thinks they are in the safe deposit box), will I need copies to retrieve any requisite info? To put it charitably, the officer in charge of this is far from obliging and I'd rather not have to deal with him if at all possible.

I dont think you need to transfer any info off your purchase permit, to the new purchasers permit. The serial number is on the gun, and your SBI is on your FID isnt it?

You should be GTG I think... what info are you thinking needs to be included from your original purchase permits?

Is the SBI number the number just to the left of the "Signature of the issuing authority" and above "date issued" on the FOID? That I found on my FOID.

I was wondering if the permit number from my permit had to be entered anywhere on his permit.

If all I need is the number from my FOID, then if I don't locate my permits I won't have to mess with Officer Grumpy.

This whole issue came up because I couldn't locate my copies of the permits and I didn't remember what info was contained on them and what info would be required from me. I don't want to sell a gun, have someone come here to pick it up, then not be able to complete the transaction because of missing information.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this issue.

No info transfers from your old one.

On the newest (09/07) P2P forms, the purchaser's SBI# is in the "Identification Card No./SBI#" box at the top. The seller put's his SBI# in the similar box at the lower left, if he has one. Disregard the "Control No". I've seen PDs issue a permit# on the FPID Cards and their may be one on the P2P. This is only an internal case# or control# for their use. Also disregard this number.

One's SBI#, nowadays, is six numbers followed by a letter, i.e. 378946E. It is the only number that you will need to use.