Sign in to follow this  
t2t80

I need a lawyer...

Hey guys, i went a year ago to submit my FID papers and had a nice long talk with the officer in charge. I have a dissorderly persons offense on my record from a few years back and didnt think that it would be a problem, but the officer thought differently. He said that while it may not be a problem, it could be enough of a reason to deny me. He suggested getting it expunged. Fast foward to last week, i finally got around to calling the lawyer that represented me on my DPO and he appeared to have fallen off the face of the earth. His phone was shut off, and his office was shut down. I finally tracked him down today in Jackson new jersey. Apparently he only handles medical malpractice cases now and does not have the time for me. Sooo im looking for a lawyer that can handle this for me. Preferably somebody thats not too expensive. Any suggestions???? Im curious as to how much (ballpark) this will cost me and apprx. how long it will take.

BTW im in burlington county.

Anyways i talked to the officer in charge of permits today and he said from the time i drop off the paperwork it will take as little as 3 weeks, up to 3 months to get the card. This is good news for me b/c i was under the impression that it would take at least 6 months.

you can do the expungment yourself.

I am not really sure that "you can do XXX legal process yourself" is ever a good idea.

i represented myself in my divorce.. i filed everything.. scheduled everything.. etc.. i had NO issues.. WENT PERFECT... if you can follow instructions.. present yourself in a fairly respectable way.. it is likely that you can represent yourself in standard legal procedures like this..

I would much rather get a lawyer. Being a full time student and working nights doesnt leave much time for anything else. One less thing on my to do list is a plus for me, even if it costs me a little more. Plus it probably wouldnt take as long if a lawyer did it right?? Either way, im looking for a lawyer. Id rather get a recomendation from someone here than go fishing through the yellow pages and picking someone at random.

list of firearms friendly lawyers across are listed on back page of nj association bi monthly news letter - cost can be from $400.00 to $2000.00 depending on the lawyer -

Actually its really good, I am an attorney and I saw it and it was the exact same forms that I was using. You just need to be careful on the dates and cc'ing everyone. Its not difficult but it is a pain in the ass with all the certified mail. Definitely worth doing. Prices vary alot by attorney.