Sign in to follow this  
bulpup

Okay, One more time

Over the weekend I spoke to my eye doctor, an avid skeet and trap guy, and an acquaintance from the NYPD emergency Services.

This is the disconnect.

I legally bought a Glock in NYC with my NYC premise permit. I now live in Morris County. The loca municipality PD said all I had to do was transport it in the legal manner (described in this forum at length, thank you!) to the new home and that is that.

The optometrist says I should have some sort of permit for it (He also owns a Sig and is in Morris County)

The LEO also believes this but thought that perhaps the local PD sounded right as long as the purchase of the Glock when in New York registered the firearm in a federal system. But he didn't know for sure.

So here I am in Morris county with an expired NYC premise permit, a Glock that I bought legally, and no valid piece of paper for anything to do with it.

Is this right? I can't believe I could go to a NJ pistol range with nothing but a Glock and a story. What should I do?

You're perfectly legal.

Your NYC permit is meaningless in NJ anyway. It wouldn't hurt to have a bill of sale from NY but even that isn't necessary. If a firearm was legally purchased in another state, it's perfectly legal to own in NJ.

You will want to get an NJ FPID card so that you can purchase handgun ammo and other new pistols though.

But you don't need it to legally own or utilize your Glock. Enjoy!

Just a clarification. You do not need a Firearms Purchaser ID card to buy pistols in NJ. It is almost stupid not to get one, but all that is required is the pistol purchase permit and identification.

You will want to get an NJ FPID card so that you can purchase handgun ammo and other new pistols though.

You do not need a Firearms Purchaser ID card to buy pistols in NJ. It is almost stupid not to get one, but all that is required is the pistol purchase permit and identification.

AHA!!! okay, I guess the FPID is good for a few reasons. One of which is that I will need to get something other than my hollow points (legal in NY mind you :? )

Thanks.

Just a clarification. You do not need a Firearms Purchaser ID card to buy pistols in NJ. It is almost stupid not to get one, but all that is required is the pistol purchase permit and identification.

While true, the first time you apply for a pistol permit, aren't you required to get a FPID card as well if you don't have one?

But even if that were not the case he'd need it for handgun ammo bought in state.

While true, the first time you apply for a pistol permit, aren't you required to get a FPID card as well if you don't have one?

But even if that were not the case he'd need it for handgun ammo bought in state.

No, you are not required to get it. The law actually states that you can use a valid Pistol Purchase Permit to buy handgun ammunition.

Common Practice is to get both at the same time. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want them both, but it is not required.

You do not need a Firearms Purchaser ID card to buy pistols in NJ. It is almost stupid not to get one, but all that is required is the pistol purchase permit and identification.

AHA!!! okay, I guess the FPID is good for a few reasons. One of which is that I will need to get something other than my hollow points (legal in NY mind you :? )

Thanks.

Hollow points are perfectly legal in NJ when transported in the correct manner. (Do a search on this forum).

Basically, you can possess them in your home, and when you are using them for a lawful purpose (Target Shooting/Hunting/God forbid for home defense).

You can purchase them, and transport them from the store to your home, and from your home to a lawful activity (Hunting/Target Shooting).

You CAN'T transport them without a legal purpose. Ie, you can't forget about the box of HP's that you have in your trunk and drive around with them.

Also, if you were to ever get a permit to carry a pistol (pretty much impossible unless you are an armed security guard), then you can not carry them in your pistol. You would have to use EFMJ, Powerballs, or FMJ, or the like.

Okay thanks. I think I am getting the picture. It seems I am legal but getting the FPID at least and a permit is best practices.

You only need a Pistol Purchase Permit if you intend to purchase a pistol. If you're not in the near term market for one, it'll expire in 90 days or 180 if you renew so don't bother.

There is no "pistol permit" per se. Cops seem to see the Firearms Purchased ID as a permit, but it's nothing more than a purchaser permit. Having one on you does not confer any legality on having a gun.

One word of caution--if your Glock has magazines in excess of 15 rounds, either hide them or give (or sell) them to somebody out of state. Such magazines are illegal for you to have, with the ONLY exception being active duty law enforcement (not even retirees can have high capacity magazines).

One word of caution--if your Glock has magazines in excess of 15 rounds, either hide them or give (or sell) them to somebody out of state. Such magazines are illegal for you to have, with the ONLY exception being active duty law enforcement (not even retirees can have high capacity magazines).

I'm pretty sure NYC has a 10 round limit unless your LEO?

Correct. There was never a chance I would be sold a mag holding more than 10 rounds. We heard a few tales about people and their loopholes, but I only ever saw 10 round mags.

This actually brings me to another question. I also have a bullet proof vest. I bought that legally too, back when i was an NYPD auxilliary many years ago. Any laws about that?

Don't take my word for it... but my understanding of armor is its "OK." But if you commit a crime, and have the armor on, it will count as extra to the overall punishment.

Isn't also illegal if you are a convicted felon? But judging by your legally owned pistol, I would say that isn't an issue for you ;)

Correct. There was never a chance I would be sold a mag holding more than 10 rounds. We heard a few tales about people and their loopholes, but I only ever saw 10 round mags.

This actually brings me to another question. I also have a bullet proof vest. I bought that legally too, back when i was an NYPD auxilliary many years ago. Any laws about that?

The armor is a non-issue as loing as it isnt being used during the commission of a crime.