lunker

Pinning a stock

Are there any New Jersey required rules about pinning a collapsible stock? Is it sufficient to drill a single hole through the stock and buffer tube, then hammer a spring roll pin through them both. I was thinking an AR trigger guard/bolt release type with curled metal (not solid like for the trigger group) since this would be more likely to remain in place. Do multiple pins need to be inserted for it to be considered pinned? Do you need to do something more substantial than inserting pins?

This is one of those "New Jersey-isms" that you wouldn't want to run afoul of.

Thanks,

Law-Abiding Lunker :mrgreen:

A word of advise do not drill through the buffer tube.

There are several interpretation of this, mine is it has to be permanent and not easily removed.

I basically did it like this, I set the desired length then drilled though the stock making a small mark onto the buffer tube.

Then removed the stock and slowly drilled into the tube enough for a pin to fit in snugly and catch(never actually going through the tube). Place the stock back on put the pin though make sure it catches correctly, trim the pin so it will hide inside the stock then tap in with a punch. Fill the hole with Black epoxy or JB weld let set and your done.

My MP15 has a roll pin in the solid area UNDER the tube. Drilling through the tube itself would interfere with the spring and buffer. It is only drilled on one side so it can't be pushed through. Also the bolt that attaches the adjustment handle is tight, there is no spring in it. I havn't tried to take it apart to actually see how it's put together. I believe it's long enough to engage one of the detents to act as a second "lock". This is how it came from the factory.

I believe the hole cannot go all the way through. only one side of the hole can be open so the pin cannot be pushed through

That's a good idea, but you seem to indicate that this is a rule, or codified somewhere, or even suggested by someone who actually has insight into the way the law is enforced; is there such a source?

I believe the hole cannot go all the way through. only one side of the hole can be open so the pin cannot be pushed through

That's a good idea, but you seem to indicate that this is a rule, or codified somewhere, or even suggested by someone who actually has insight into the way the law is enforced; is there such a source?

i would like to know the same.. i think that we "over think" things sometimes.. i for one would like the law more clearly defined..

although it wont really effect me since im going to use a different kind of stock all together..

edit..

i believe the concept of the law is simple..

can you change it without tools? no.. ok i dont really know that it says anywhere can only have hole for pin on one side..