Sign in to follow this  
PeteF

Sig P229 SAS Gen2 .40 or 9mm

I am look at getting a P229 for concealed carry, Yes it would be for out of state.

Anyone have a preference between 9mm or 40 versions. I have other full size pistols in each caliber and am equally comfortable with either.

Thanks

Being that the 229's dimensions are the same for all calibers, I'd go with the .40. Although there are some very good 9mm defense loads out there, nothing beats the heavier bullet. It also comes in the .357 Sig. I've got a P229R .40 DAK (non-SAS). I find it a bit heavy for all day carry. My P239 SAS DAK however is a different story. I find that the closer to the body you can get it the more comfortable. I switched to IWB for both guns.

I'd think about getting the P229 in .357 Sig. An excellent defensive caliber, since you intend to carry it. You can get a .40 S&W barrel (it's a drop-in - no fitting needed) and use the .40 for practice at the range. I suggest buying it as a .357 so that your sights are regulated for POA = POI. When you switch to the .40 barrel it should be a higher POI, so you would use a six o'clock hold. Just my $.02 worth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: I have a 229 in .357 Sig. I have the .40 barrel, but pretty much leave it as a .357

PB

I have a P226 equinox in .40S&W. It's an excellent pistol. I reload .40 S&W pretty cheap. You may also want to look at the 239 if you want it for CCW. It's a little more narrow which may be more comfortable to carry. I shot a P239 in .40 S&W and really liked it. I went with the P226 since the prmary function was target and home defense. I would probably go with the P239 for CCW. The night sight on the equinox is awesome.