Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

Fingerprinting

I have come across several threads/posts talking about fingerprinting for your FPID card, here in NJ. The concensus of those posts was that NJ is now outsourcing all of its fingerprinting. The horror stories about long lead times for appointments to get fingerprinted are already appearing.

While it may be true that some municipalities are outsourcing their fingerprinting, some are still doing their own. After living together for 23 years, and showing 0 interest in firearms, my GF announced that she wants a gun (osmosis from living with me?) - so we start the hoop jumping process. Last night we went to our local PD to turn in her documents, money and to get her fingerprinted. Our PD does have computerized fingerprinting, but they are not sent to the NJSP electronically. The fingerprint program simply prints a hardcopy on a standard fingerprint card and it is mailed to the NJSP (right down the road).

So I'm at a loss as to why some towns are outsourcing and others are not. After reading some of the experiences, I feel lucky that we live in one that is still doing its own. I'd like to hear from recent applicants (FPID, or if you needed to be printed for PPP's) about whether it was done locally or outsourced.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

A letter was sent out to all Police Departments in November of 2009 that stated that they MAY use Sagem Morpho. It was not a requirement.

My PD gives all the paperwork to the applicant who files it with the Chief's Office to start the ball rolling, i.e. reference letters, etc. The applicant sets up an appointment to have their fingerprints done via the internet on their own. Whatever the wait period to have the prints taken, the results are return to the PD within 48 hours, sometimes the same day.

The process is finalized as normally. Hope this helps.

• Like 1