Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Handgun permits - what happens to the paperwork?

I realize the 4 part form goes to Purchaser, Seller, state police and local police.

Legally, what are the police supposed to do with the permit to purchase when they arrive after a gun has been sold? I'm sure they file them forever, but are they supposed to destroy them after a period of time?

I 'get it' it's defacto registration, but what is supposed to happen to the forms?

Also as a bonus question, what does NJ do with NICS records? Again, they keep them forever, I'm sure(even if they purge them from the main database to a backup tape or something)...what are they supposed to do?

Maybe the paper records are converted to electronic form (scanned) at some point. In olden tymes I would have said its microfiched. I would guess the paper copies eventually get warehoused somewhere, like the old 3m plant in Freehold, is an Iron Mountain storage facility now. It may vary PD by PD.

IIRC FFLs have to keep paperwork stuff on file for a long period of time, but I think the NICs checks are supposed to be purged after a very short period of time, was that the Tiahart amendmentt? Not sure on that.

the handgun is not registered , only the sale is being registered - more nj double talk !

They are held in storage for when NJ finally bans all guns and they come and get them from you.

Assuming you are serious, let's hope that never happens as that's going to be quite a day. Things are going to get sporty really fast. Some of us have been on a two way rifle range opposite some tough boys and are just not impressed by a gaggle of badged-up doofuses who are hard charging, pee bringing legends in their own minds and nowhere else.