Malsua

Bushmaster Varmiter?

NJ legality?

------------

24" Fluted Extra Heavy Varmint Barrel - .223 Rem. caliber / 4150 chrome moly steel / full 1" diameter under the handguard / 11 competition crowned muzzle / 1 in 9" twist for optimum performance with most varmint cartridges / full length fluting for increased cooling and reduced weight / machined to same specifications as our DCM Competition Barrel with tolerances twice as tight as regular barrels.

Bushmaster Competition Trigger - a smooth, two stage, 4 1/2 lb. pull focuses the shooter's attention on the target

V Match Tubular Forend - "free-floats" the barrel from the action all the way forward / special cooling vents for increased barrel heat dissipation / bipod stud installed for easy mounting of most bipods

Custom Rubberized Pistol grip - comfortable textured surface / ambidextrous design / finger grooved for correct trigger finger placement

Bushmaster Modular Accessories System Mini-Risers - add 1/2" height to scope mounting on the flat-top receiver for correct sight picture and comfortable "cheek-weld" on the stock

Controlled Ejection Path - receiver shell ejection has been modified to drop them all in the same place - a convenience for the reloader!

5 Round Magazine - legal for hunting in most states

Shipped in Bushmaster's Lockable Hard Case - with "egg crate" foam padding for protection

SPECIFICATIONS:

24" Bbl. "VARMINTER" Rifle

From the website pics, it looks like the barrel is straight (i.e. not threaded and doesn't have a flash hider). I don't see a bayonet lug either. It has an A2 style stock. Those are the ordinary trouble spots for NJ AR rifles (No 30mm grenade launcher either :))

I would think you are good to go. I would just ask the seller to swap out any high capacity mags it might come with for NJ-friendly 10 rounders.

Looks legal to me too. I'm not a ballistics person by any means, but for the longer barrels, don't people want something like a 1x8 twist, or would 1x9 be just fine? I'm probably speaking out of my butt though, so my bad. I know how to use them, but the specifics I'm still learning ;)

From the website pics, it looks like the barrel is straight (i.e. not threaded and doesn't have a flash hider). I don't see a bayonet lug either. It has an A2 style stock. Those are the ordinary trouble spots for NJ AR rifles (No 30mm grenade launcher either :))

I would think you are good to go. I would just ask the seller to swap out any high capacity mags it might come with for NJ-friendly 10 rounders.

The particular one I'm talking about doesn't have a threaded barrel or a flash hider. It's specifically being willed to me so hopefully I don't have it for a long time. He just told me about it tonight and I want to be sure I don't have to change anything.

Varminters are almost always NJ legal cuz they're designed (as the name implies) for "varmint" hunting, and generally don't have any of the "evil features". You should be good to go. Even if you're not, as long as you can get someone to take a picture before having it sent here (or if you see it in person), it'll be easy enough to tell if you need to change anything. That said, hopefully you don't have to worry about it for a long time.

I have it. very accurate . 1/9 twist or slower is preferable for varmint loads, typically less than 55 gr. bullet. Remember- the faster the twist, the heavier the bullet. You will find good accuracy with 40-50 gr accutips, V-max or the like. It is a heavy gun. Get a Bill Springfiels trigger job on it and you will love it.

I've held it, but it was before I really knew the laws on evil features...something I've only studied in the last 12 months or so.

It has a 10x Leupold on it and he's taken hogs with it out to 200 or so but I've never shot it. I might go in a few months and spend some time shooting with him.