stevebys

Handgun as Gift - How to transact legally in NJ ?

My Brother-in-law wants to gift me a handgun.

He is a PA resident (USAF-Ret.) and has legal possession in PA

I am a NJ resident - have FID and Current valid Permit to Purchase a Handgun & form of Register (Form SP 671)

Can anyone give me insight into how this transaction may be done within the law?

I am a NJ resident - have FID and Current valid Permit to Purchase a Handgun & form of Register (Form SP 671)

Can anyone give me insight into how this transaction may be done within the law?

It has to be transferred to a FFL in NJ. You then go there, pay their fees and NICS charges and the gun is yours.

Edit to add, he could bring the gun to the FFL with you, it doesn't have to be shipped in.

If you post what area you are in, i'm sure you'll get a few good recommendations on FFL's that are great to deal with and offer good pricing on transfers, etc..

Is this possible to do without a current permit to purchase a handgun? i.e. if you have a current valid FID card, and have purchased a handgun legally validly recently, but don't have a permit at the present... Could you still be gifted the gun?

Is this possible to do without a current permit to purchase a handgun? i.e. if you have a current valid FID card, and have purchased a handgun legally validly recently, but don't have a permit at the present... Could you still be gifted the gun?

I believe the only legal way to receive a handgun without a valid permit to purchase a pistol, is to have the handgun willed to you, and the owner dies. As a condition of that, you would still have to not have any conditions which would prevent you from being issued a pistol purchase permit.