Malsua

Trap shooting chokes

My "trap" gun is a Mossberg 835 with a skeet choke. I also have a Turkey choke for the gun which I'm going to try next time I'm out....probably make me miss entirely.

Anyway, just googling it, I see that people seem to lean towards full chokes for actual trap shooting but since I'm just a hack, I really have no idea if that's real or just stupid gits on the internet spouting ill informed opinions.

Also thinking about getting a longer barrel for it. I might have to buy a spotting scope(for days with the rifles) first though.

The guys at Hercules who've been doing this longer than I've been alive generally shoot from the 16 yard line with either an Improved Cylinder or Modified choke. When they shoot handicap from the more distant lines, a lot of them switch to Full for fear that any other pattern is so open that the clay could fly right through the cloud and not get hit.

There's some useful choke data here:

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strategies/shotgun_062304/

Here is the breakdown.

If you are really good, go with a full trap...you will smoke them

If you are OK, go with modified, wider spread...

Full choke rules!

Before you choose a choke you should pattern your gun. It's the only sure way of telling you where the string is going. That said...I always pattern with a full choke if possible. Trap guns in general have a 60/40 pattern, meaning that 60% of your shot is above the "bullseye" and 40% is below. The reasoning is that in Trap your birds are rising as you shoot at them. Skeeters/Sporting Clays shoot 50/50. This is just a general rule of thumb and different strokes for different folks.