Sign in to follow this  
IveGotThatWiperFluid

Sighting in new optic, need some help

Hey there, I am hoping to elicit some information or experience on sighting in a Ruger 10/22. I've been working on it as a project gun over the last year and I've finally got a new stock in shooting condition (and I'm too antsy to shoot it to wait any longer). I've got a Green Mountain bull barrel on it which means I no longer have a forward sight so I just scored an Eotech holosight which may be considered overkill, but should be damn fun to shoot.

So here's the issue: I'm a member at Cherry Ridge so I have a place to shoot, but I've never had to sight in a scope or optic before and I feel like the 50yd range is too far to sight in the Eotech easily or safely based on information on sighting in rimfires at half that distance. Does anyone have some experience they can lend to this? Or at the least, should I really be that concerned? I don't care how difficult it will be to get it lined up or how long it'll take, I'm more concerned with not hitting paper at that distance and I don't want to be infringing on any range rules by trying to do this or having too much "un-aimed" lead going downrange.

Any thoughts?

Hey there, I am hoping to elicit some information or experience on sighting in a Ruger 10/22. I've been working on it as a project gun over the last year and I've finally got a new stock in shooting condition (and I'm too antsy to shoot it to wait any longer). I've got a Green Mountain bull barrel on it which means I no longer have a forward sight so I just scored an Eotech holosight which may be considered overkill, but should be damn fun to shoot.

So here's the issue: I'm a member at Cherry Ridge so I have a place to shoot, but I've never had to sight in a scope or optic before and I feel like the 50yd range is too far to sight in the Eotech easily or safely based on information on sighting in rimfires at half that distance. Does anyone have some experience they can lend to this? Or at the least, should I really be that concerned? I don't care how difficult it will be to get it lined up or how long it'll take, I'm more concerned with not hitting paper at that distance and I don't want to be infringing on any range rules by trying to do this or having too much "un-aimed" lead going downrange.

Any thoughts?

Don't worry about missing your target board. The bullets are going through it anyway and impacting the berm behind. Just watch for puffs of dirt into the berm. If you're hitting into the woods...a few rounds of .22 isn't the end of the world, just get it on the board as soon as you can.

You do realize you can shoot a 10/22 at the silhouette range? Just set your target board up in front of one of the traps or in front of the berm.

Be ready to paper your entire board in the event you aren't anywhere near where you think it's supposed to be.