Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

How powerful could a union get?

Considering what we've seen here in NJ, and even with SEIU, and other unions.. how powerful could a union get, and can they get powerful enough to basically run every aspect of the country including each of the branches of government?

Unions are only 5% of the workforce and declining. At there height they were 25% of the workforce in the 50's -70's. Unions contributed greatly to the things we now take for granted like public collages, social security the 5 day work week and the 40 hour week. Sadly the decline of the American middle class can be traced directly to the decline of Unions power in America.

In most industries today we are working for less money(inflation adjusted dollars) then our fathers and grandfathers were. At the same time CEO pay has gone up by greatly. I think the average fortune 500 CEO makes 400 times the average workers salary. That is unheard of in history.

The Unions started as a good and needed entity. A lot of our work standards and perks come from them as written above. But like Everything else, Money and Power corrupted them and they became Power hungry and greedy. I am sure we can swap Horror stories as well as good things they have done, but as they currently exist, I think they are an abomination to Work Ethics and promote a lazy atmosphere. Just my experience, yours may be different.

CEO pay is a different topic entirely.

The Unions started as a good and needed entity. A lot of our work standards and perks come from them as written above. But like Everything else, Money and Power corrupted them and they became Power hungry and greedy. I am sure we can swap Horror stories as well as good things they have done, but as they currently exist, I think they are an abomination to Work Ethics and promote a lazy atmosphere. Just my experience, yours may be different.

+1

Yes they could, they could consolidate and even more inportantly they can coordinate and that is where their power comes from a huge workforce of drones ordered to work in one manner for fear of their jobs.

Look at unions in Europe, wasnt Solidarity in Poland a Union, and that helped topple communism. (Ironic)

+1 I've met a lot of Union guys in a variety of unions and for the most part, the larger and more powerful the union is, the more likely the guys are to drag ass and do nothing but that's just my opinion. One of my former employers escaped being blown up during a very charged labor dispute, but this is NJ so I'm sure the timing was just coincidental. The upside is he was actually granted a permit to carry in NJ since he could prove that someone was actually trying to murder him.

I've met some great Union guys, but as tb said for the most part I don't think the Unions do anyone (including the people they 'represent') but themselves any favors. I know there are plenty of guys who were put in a bad spot, or wound up working for a real tool and the Union helped them out but more often than not they just back up and keep employed the dead weight who make everyone else in the union look bad. Again, JMO.

Considering what we've seen here in NJ, and even with SEIU, and other unions.. how powerful could a union get, and can they get powerful enough to basically run every aspect of the country including each of the branches of government?

Powerful enough to elect a president.