Sign in to follow this  
autoxnyc

Legal to buy a 14.5" AR barrel?

AFAIK, yes, but you could run into a constructive possession problem if you have both and AR and a 14.5" barrel in NJ, doesn't even have to be attached.

If it's possible, to be 100% safe, have the barrel sent directly to ADCO.

If not, don't wait too long to send it out.

What CSJ said. Mind you, its not illegal to buy an SBR upper, as it is the lower that is NFA-registered. But the constructive possession thing can get you into trouble.

I ordered a 14.5'' from BCM, and had it sent directly to ADCO myself. It took maybe a week total from the day I ordered it to arriving on my front step.

What CSJ said. Mind you, its not illegal to buy an SBR upper, as it is the lower that is NFA-registered. But the constructive possession thing can get you into trouble.

I ordered a 14.5'' from BCM, and had it sent directly to ADCO myself. It took maybe a week total from the day I ordered it to arriving on my front step.

I'm far from a lawyer, but isn't NJ's constructive possession law much stricter than the federal law?

This has nothing to do with legality, because I called the NJSP. I borrowed a buddy's 11.5" upper a few years ago. I wanted to take it to work in NJ so I could drop the upper off at my buddy's house in PA on the way home. Talked to the NJSP firearms expert and was told "No." He actually seemed a little pissed that I asked.

Like I said, fun story but NJSP has nothing to do with law.

This has nothing to do with legality, because I called the NJSP. I borrowed a buddy's 11.5" upper a few years ago. I wanted to take it to work in NJ so I could drop the upper off at my buddy's house in PA on the way home. Talked to the NJSP firearms expert and was told "No." He actually seemed a little pissed that I asked.

NJSP isn't authorized to give out legal advice.

NJSP isn't authorized to give out legal advice.

Maybe, but they were very happy to "help." And I know of a half a dozen instances of people traveling from out of state that received guidance from NJSP.