Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Duck and Cover - About the ongoing Campus Carry movement.

Free states are fighting to extend carry on to Campuses. Our state is an entire gun free zone shooting gallery.

Read the stats about two Colorado schools. One allows carry, one does not. If you're sending your kid to College in Colorado, the "Gun Free Zone" signs mean they have a much higher chance of getting attacked.

I have a personal connection to Virginia Tech and had one of those students been armed, the scope of that tragedy may have been much smaller. I wonder if Larry Hincker the Virginia Tech spokesman who said ""I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus." is haunted by his words? He should be.

-----------

http://www.nrapublications.org/a1f/DuckAndCover.html

It was nothing less than a morning of sheer terror.

If you asked any student on the quiet campus of Virginia Tech on the morning of April 16, 2007, most would have told you they felt safe. As they gathered their backpacks, pencils and textbooks and prepared to go about their day, no one imagined the sleepy town of Blacksburg, Va., would be the stage for the worst college shooting in U.S. history.

One of the students feeling particularly safe that morning was a mentally disturbed youth

I searched a bit for more words of wisdom from Larry Hincker, the VT spokesman.

Here's a real gem. He's referencing an article from a week or so earlier by a Graduate Student, Bradford Wiles. (http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/wb/80510) where Wiles realizes the during a scare, he's unarmed and vulnerable. There is some real prognostication happening here because while Hincker lambasts Wiles, the EXACT CIRCUMSTANCES that Wiles was worried about came true.

Both of these articles are in the Fall of 2006. 7-8 months before a real shooting occurred against disarmed students.

-----------

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/wb/81277

Larry Hincker

Hincker is the associate vice president for university relations at Virginia Tech.

After the fear, and dare I say, panic from the events of Aug. 21, it is absolutely mind-boggling to see the opinions of Bradford Wiles ("Unarmed and vulnerable," Aug. 31).

I once worked for an out-of-touch manager who gave rather absurd directions. My colleagues and I would do as directed and dubbed it "malicious compliance," knowing the task to be inane and the manager's foibles would soon be apparent.

The editors of this page must have printed this commentary if for no other reason than malicious compliance. Surely, they scratched their heads saying, "I can't believe he really wants to say that."

Wiles tells us that he didn't feel safe with the hundreds of highly trained officers armed with high powered rifles encircling the building and protecting him. He even implies that he needed his sidearm to protect himself against the officers.

On that fateful Monday, campus was understandably on edge. Elvis-type sightings of the escaped prisoner around campus were rampant. People were legitimately concerned about where he might be. And although the police were relatively confident they had the suspect cornered (they were ultimately proved right), the anxiety level elsewhere on campus was very high.

Panic calls from within the Squires Student Center quickly morphed from facts into rumors, including a frantic call alleging a hostage situation. The police had no choice but to move a massive force from the manhunt site to that side of campus to deal with the hostage rumor.

The writer would have us believe that a university campus, with tens of thousands of young people, is safer with everyone packing heat(Yes, Larry, it would be, has history shown you the errors of your ways yet???). Imagine the continual fear of students in that scenario. We've seen that fear here, and we don't want to see it again.

Who among us thinks the writer of the commentary would not have been directly in harm's way if he showed himself to those tactical squads while displaying a deadly weapon? Would he even be here today to tell us the story? Contrary to his position, the writer's commentary actually gives credence to the university policy preventing weapons in classrooms.

Guns don't belong in classrooms. They never will. Virginia Tech has a very sound policy preventing same.