Sign in to follow this  
mikelets456

CCW and NJ laws changing soon? Wow...it's moving!

See email below:

Shortly after my election to the Legislature in 1995, I introduced the predecessor of the above-cited Bill. Same was referred to this Committee, as has been every subsequent incarnation thereof, where it languished.

In light of the recent decision by the United States Supreme Court in McDonald, there exists essentially no doubt that many of New Jersey’s draconian restrictions on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms will not survive a legal challenge. As a result, New Jersey has essentially two choices: legislatively respect the constitutional rights of its citizens, or face the inevitability of being compelled to do so by the judiciary.

The consequences of legislative inaction – leaving aside the denial of fundamental constitutional rights – could be hugely expensive for the taxpayers. Litigation is, as you know, very costly and, since the plaintiffs are almost certain to prevail in a challenge, they would likely be entitled to an award of counsel fees in addition to invalidating NJ’s unconstitutional laws.

I respectfully request, then, that the Chairman schedule the above proposal for Committee consideration with all deliberate speed.

Respectfully,

Michael Patrick Carroll

As you have written me in favoring Second Amendment rights, let me ask you a simple favor:

Write to the committee chairman, as well as each member of the Committee, respectfully requesting that this measure be posted. In order to maximize the impact, I ask you to do it via snail mail (we old folks tend to respect paper more than electrons). Use your own language so that it cannot be dismissed as a form letter. Ask each of them to respond to you, in writing, respecting their position.

Already, some Members of the Majority see the handwriting on the wall. Senator Van Drew recently introduced a concealed carry law. Although it needs work – the fees are unconscionably high and the training requirements disconcertingly vague – it represents a welcome step in the right direction. Now is the time to press for true reform.

The addresses of the other committee members are here:

Assemblyman Nelson T. Albano

21 North Main St.

Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Assemblyman Jon M. Bramnick

251 North Ave. West 2nd Floor

Westfield, NJ 07090

Assemblywoman Elease Evans

100 Hamilton Plaza Suite 1400

Paterson, NJ 07505

Assemblywoman Amy H. Handlin

890 Main St.

Belford, NJ 07718

Assemblyman Paul D. Moriarty

129 Johnson Road Suite 1

Turnersville, NJ 08012

Assemblyman David P. Rible

1955 Highway 34 Bldg. 2A

Wall Township, NJ 07719

Assemblywoman L. Grace Spencer

223 Hawthorne Ave.

Newark, NJ 07112

Assemblyman Gilbert L. "Whip" Wilson

Audubon Commons Shopping Center

130 Blackhorse Pike 1st Floor Suite D-3

Audubon, NJ 08106

Together, we can bring New Jersey into the mainstream of America once again.

Michael Patrick Carroll