joshg138

New Mak 90

I picked up my Mak 90 last week, and I spent the last few days doing a little work on it.

I got rid of the thumb-hole stock, and replaced it with a Tapco SAW pistol grip and an Arsenal buttstock. I also replaced the fcg with the Tapco G2 double hook fcg. The only thing that was any major trouble was the buttstock. The tang on the receiver stopped it from being fully seated within the receiver...there is a 1/8 inch gap between the buttstock and receiver. It isn't perfect, but since I plan on replacing everything with wood furniture at some point (I'm thinking about the Timbersmith brown laminate), it is fine for now.

There are 2 things that I have some concern about.

1) The bolt carrier seems to be discolored/corroded. Is this a problem, or just normal wear and tear from a 20 year old rifle.

2) When I was field stripped the rifle, a pin came halfway out of the firing pin assembly. I was able to remove it with no resistance. I wiped it clean and reinserted it. This doesn't seem like something that should happen. Am I right to be worried? I circled the pin on the last picture.

post-1544-091667400 1286749139_thumb.jpg

post-1544-038581800 1286749147_thumb.jpg

post-1544-000417400 1286749154_thumb.jpg

post-1544-004881100 1286749165_thumb.jpg

see what happeneds if you drive the pin in further if nothing look for a new pin or

see if you can find a roll pin at your hardware store that will fit tight .

If for some reason the pin hole is over size and you cant find a pin pm me for my address and mail me the bolt I will make a pin on the lathe for you NC

And I couldnt live with that gap with the new stock

polish the bolt with steel wool

I tapped in the pin and it is much more secure now. Thanks for the tip on using steel wool. I'll try that later this week. I'm not thrilled about the stock either, but since I'm planning on replacing it with wood in a few months anyway, I'll deal with it.

I had a Mak90 until I sold it for $200 in January 2007. Yeah, it was way before the Post-Obama scare. Wish I waited cause I could have gotten more money.

Anyway, I had the same problem with the after market stock. It did not fit proper into the receiver, like in your pic. So, it appears its a common problem with the Mak 90. Overall, an extremely reliable weapon. It NEVER jammmed at all. Ate all the ammo I fed it.