Sign in to follow this  
tommy3rd

Norinco Rifles

They make it sound like it's banned in New Jersey. Well, is it? Or are they referring to the mag capacity?

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases10/pr20101116b.html

It is probably banned as either a named "Assault Weapon" or is substantually similar to an AW, probably the AK-47. I think the big problem was the German, belt-fed, water-cooled machine gun. He doesn't look like the solid citizen type to me. Glad he is off the streets.

They didn't clearify models but there are pre-ban (pre '89 - rare/expensive), post-ban (post '89 thumb-hole stle) and post-ban (post '98 922r compliant) versions of the Hungarian FEGs (SA-85M), the Chinese Norinco (MAK-90) and the Romanian (ROMAKs, WASRs and SARs) AKs. If the Norinco was a MAK-90 it is legal in NJ as long as it was unmodified. Most of the FEGs I have seen are post-ban thumb-hole stock guns and 99% of the Romanian AKs are post ban. Don't forget the import restrictions predate even NJ's ban compliments of George H. W. Bush in '89 and remain in effect even today... In order to have the Hungarian or Romanian AK in a pre-ban configuration you need to intentionally replace a number of parts to make them 922r compliant... Chances are slim these guns were really assault weapons... That said the guy is an idiot that needs to go away, glad he pled.

It is probably banned as either a named "Assault Weapon" or is substantually similar to an AW, probably the AK-47. I think the big problem was the German, belt-fed, water-cooled machine gun. He doesn't look like the solid citizen type to me. Glad he is off the streets.

I wonder if they actually tested the gun or just assumed it was a machine gun because it was belt-fed... Gun was most likely an MG-08 (WWI German copy of a Maxim) there were a number of these guns sold as parts kits years ago without the side plates (actual part of the gun that mounted the full-auto parts). While there are numerous semi-auto Maxim varients out there and non-firing MG-08 display guns, I have never seen a semi-auto MG-08.

Maschinengewehr_08_1.jpg

Well if we are going to put people behind bars simply because they dont look like "solid citizen types", then I have a couple people in mind. However, thats not how this works. Vietnam Tom looked like a regular citizen defending himself from some thug gangster on the bus, come to find out he has serious mental problems and this was FAR from his first incident with the law. Point is (its a cliche, I know) you cannot always judge a book by its cover.

• Like 1