Sign in to follow this  
coldsolderjoint

Police Car Shotgun

I guess this is more of a question for the LEO folk on the board, but..

I went to the PD to drop off my pistol permits for renewal today, and remembered this question I've had for awhile.

I've noticed cruisers of several different police agencies around here with overhead shotgun mounts, however, the sling is dangling around loose by the head rests.

It seems to be like it would just get in the way and get tangled in radios/hats, etc. It also seems like a liability, in an emergency/high stress situation (one where the shotgun would be needed), getting the shotgun out quickly might get impeded when the sling gets caught on something like the headrest/door jam/seatbelt, etc.

Seems to me like the sling should be cinched up tight, or removed.

I'm not sure, but isn't a shotgun sling only used for carrying the gun, not like a precision rifle match where a sling could help?

The other question I had.. is the shotgun issued to the cruiser, or to the officer? I've noticed several cruisers with the aforementioned dangling slings at the PD. I'm sure the PO could have been inside doing something, but it seemed to me like they leave them in the cars.

Slings on shotguns are only used to carry the shotgun. It would seem a free sling would get in in the way. My HD shotgun is sling free for this reason. My department signs the shotgun out to the individual officer at the beginning of the shift and back in at the end of the shift. Alot of patrol guys at my department dont even sign a shotgun out most of the time. They ride shotgunless. Different departments have different SOP's so some may sign the shotgun out to the cruiser. Come to think of it, I think our ESU trucks may have been assigned shotguns but not sure on that.

We dont carry Shotguns (or any long gun for that matter0 except in special circumstances. I have argued FOR slings for years, and have been shot down every time. problem is, once you have that shotgun in your hands, you're stuck with it. Which means, if the bad guy gets froggy, you can't jsut lay it down and jump in to go hands on. or, if it's just YOU, now there's no way to secure the BG until someone else gets there. I even offered to buy the single-point sling plates out of my pocket for our shotguns, but was shot down on the idea. MY Shotgun wears a Single-point plate and sling with a Kydex Buckle. there are times you NEED to have your hands free and still maintain control of your weapon.

I understand that.. but shouldn't they be sized appropriately when cinched up, or wrapped around the stock or something? Dangling free just seems messy and a way to get your gun stuck in the car.

a 2" wide piece of Elastic with some velcro on it would fix that problem, and be isntantly removeable (Free Hint to some Marketing Genius out there)

The PD I work at (I am not a Police Officer) have 12ga Winchester pumps mounted overhead.

They do not have slings, so I cannot comment on that. They are locked in place with three claw-like mounts, and are key-accessible.

I will say I have seen officers take them out of the mount and it looks like cake (under no stress!), unless they fumble with the key.

This specific department issues them to the police car. I am not sure what you are going towards when you stated, "they leave them in the cars," but if you meant when they leave their cruiser running while they run into a restaurant to grab something to eat, they will either lock their car or leave it open. The shotguns are locked in place and the officer only has the key.