Sign in to follow this  
Rugerfan100

Did Stafford drop the ball on my exemptions?

Ok..try and stay with me now on this one.... I waited 6 weeks and finally picked up my latest round of permits on November 8, 2010. I took 5 of those permits and turned them back in to Stafford with the two required exemption forms (15 & 16) from the State Police on November 10 to get the exemption as a collector (to take 5 guns at once). Today I go down there to find out what is going on with my exemption paperwork (now 30 days later) and they tell me they have the paperwork back from the State Police and have to type me up 5 new permits now???? Wait a minute...I already had 5 permits ready and turned them in originally with the exemption forms??? They told me they voided them and I have to fill out for 5 new permits now??? So I asked to speak to the Chief today and see what he says. He says none of this would have happened if I had turned in the exemption forms while I was applying for the permits at the same time instead of turning them in after I had picked up my 5 permits?? Does this make any sense to anyone out there?? Or is the Chief blowing smoke up my A$$???? Has anyone else had this problem at their PD for exemption???

Its all good. The chief is partially right. However, I have the law in front of me and it says I can indeed have permits already issued as long as I have the right amount and they are valid. They should never have "voided" my original permits that were valid. Stafford did drop the ball on that one. The law says the PD should retain the original permits and then give them back when applicant is approved by the NJSP. Oh well, time to remind the Chief of the law...

Its all good. The chief is partially right. However, I have the law in front of me and it says I can indeed have permits already issued as long as I have the right amount and they are valid. They should never have "voided" my original permits that were valid. Stafford did drop the ball on that one. The law says the PD should retain the original permits and then give them back when applicant is approved by the NJSP. Oh well, time to remind the Chief of the law...

I applied for an exemption (on 2 separate occasions) after they had already given me the permits and my town never asked for the permits back, I hung onto them while they processed my exemption paperwork. Once the exemptions were approved they simply handed me the sealed exemption paperwork and that was it.