lunker

Threaded Barrel on an SKS

Is a threaded barrel merely considered an "evil feature"? I want to put a decent comp on my SKS Paratrooper, and the good ones require a threaded barrel. I never see threaded barrels on rifles here in NJ, but that is probably because they would cause the "evil feature" count to exceed two on modern rifles like ARs. My SKS Paratrooper, which does not have a pistol grip, detachable magazine, or telescoping stock (but does have a bayonet lug) should be OK since it wouldn't push it over the limit of 2. Do I have this correct?

This isn't the bring-back sks, is it?

No way! That is staying untouched. As a matter of fact, it belongs on my wall rather than having me drag it out to shoot it. I bought an SKS Paratrooper (i.e. SKS Short barrel) that I was thinking of using in the multi-gun competition. That short barrel has a noticeable recoil increase over the full length. I have also been reading about the Choate Comp for SKS that doesn't require threading. I would need to take off the bayonet to mount it, but for competition it's just extra weight I would want gone anyway. I have a feeling that PTR may be a bit heavy to be running around with (10 lbs w/o optics).

I would run the PTR! Im running around with a +12 lb MWS!!! Hell my AR is 9.75!

Also, you could bring both. You are not restricted to running a single rifle for the match. I usually bring 3!

I am carrying more than enough weight without ever picking up a rifle! :)

The lighter my gun, the better.

You can do whatever you want because you dont have a detachable magazine. You can have a folding stock, pistol grip, threaded muzzle with removable flash hider, grenade launcher and bayonet lug if you wanted all at once.

Just watch out for 922® since you are non-sporterizing an imported rifle, you must have the minimum number of US parts in the rifle. Its a fed thing

You can do whatever you want because you dont have a detachable magazine. You can have a folding stock, pistol grip, threaded muzzle with removable flash hider, grenade launcher and bayonet lug if you wanted all at once.

Just watch out for 922® since you are non-sporterizing an imported rifle, you must have the minimum number of US parts in the rifle. Its a fed thing

Does adding a compensator constitute non-sporterizing a rifle? I thought that was an importable feature.

Comps are OK, but a threaded barrel is a no no just like in NJ. It would need to be permenent. However, if you meet the minimum number of parts, you can have it removable.

However, on further reading of the law, it appears that merely adding a "muzzle attachment", fized or not, would require you to still pay the US parts game

Lunker, maybe Tosser will catch this thread but I think he said this next match might be a little less running and more long range shots favoring precision a little more this time around. (probably something to do with playing with a certain OBR at the last match LOL)

Shane

I did see something about putting a 200 yard zero on the rifle in his thread about the upcoming shoot.