Sign in to follow this  
YankeeFan

What the hell is a BCI?

So I call up my friendly neighborhood detective to check on the status of my FID and permits, and he says I now need to provide the name of two neighbors so they can do a BCI? I thought when I submitted my paperwork and put down the names of two references that should be enough, why the hell would I want my neighbors to know if I have firearms or not. God this state is so fucked up!!!!

So I call up my friendly neighborhood detective to check on the status of my FID and permits, and he says I now need to provide the name of two neighbors so they can do a BCI? I thought when I submitted my paperwork and put down the names of two references that should be enough, why the hell would I want my neighbors to know if I have firearms or not. God this state is so fucked up!!!!

I assume it means: Background Criminal Investigation. And they are supposed to use the references listed without any additional forms or content. They should also not disclose to your references the reason for the background check, as this breaches confidentiality. Relevant statute and administrative code below:

2C:58-3,f which states, in part: There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

NJAC 13:54-1.15, which states: Any background investigation conducted by the chief of police, the Superintendent or the county prosecutor, of any applicant for a permit, firearms identification card license, or registration, in accordance with the requirements of this chapter, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such investigation, including the applicant. Any application for a permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any

document reflecting the issuance or denial of such permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any permit, firearms identification card, license, certification, certificate, form of register, or registration statement, maintained by any State or municipal governmental agency, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such documentation, including the applicant, except on the request of persons acting in their governmental capacities for purposes of the administration of justice.

Just depends on how far you want to push it. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

thats funny cause i recently did an address change and they sent letters to my references asking if i was ok mentally and not a criminal, not accused of domestic violence, didnt abused alcohol and if it seemed ok for me to purchase guns! unbelievable! i should have kept a copy of that ****!