NJ609

Township spreading misinformation?

Since I'm going to have to change my address soon I was nosing around Franklin Townships FAQ and saw some amazing and totally inaccurate items.

Link to PDF

My favorite was "Note: Although you are not required to possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card to inherit firearms, you WILL NOT be able to transport, purchase ammunition or fire the weapons at a qualified firearms range unless you possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card."

Are they serious?

I also think that my change of address is going to be an ordeal. It should only require $18 plus a new $5 card but they always like to somehow throw me curveball during the process. This was where I got my initial card a few years ago so I refuse to accept any BS about new fingerprints.

They really don't care about laws as is shown by their illegal additional form: Household form

Great stuff. When we make up the law to our liking, we go to jail. When they do it, it is an "administrative decision".

I also love the " We highly recommend that you voluntary register all the firearms with the State of New Jersey utilizing the Voluntary Form for Firearms Registration." part. It just exudes "We're from the government, and we're here to help you". :keeporder:

Great stuff. When we make up the law to our liking, we go to jail. When they do it, it is an "administrative decision".

I also love the " We highly recommend that you voluntary register all the firearms with the State of New Jersey utilizing the Voluntary Form for Firearms Registration." part. It just exudes "We're from the government, and we're here to help you". :keeporder:

It really comes down to intimidation through misinformation and bureaucracy. Scare you with the misinformation, then make you lose hope when the red tape takes longer than state law allotted time of course compounded with their "there is nothing you can do about it ha ha" attitude.

Welcome to New Jersey. :)

It really comes down to intimidation through misinformation and bureaucracy. Scare you with the misinformation, then make you lose hope when the red tape takes longer than state law allotted time of course compounded with their "there is nothing you can do about it ha ha" attitude.

Welcome to New Jersey. :)

Ahhh, the Gloroius Peoples Republik at its very best!

Do not surrender your current FID card until you recieve your new one. Someone on this board awhile back went for a change of address and the cops tried making him turn in his card with his application.

If they tell you you have too, tell them you WILL NOT be able to transport, purchase ammunition or fire the weapons at a qualified firearms range unless you possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification :sarcastichand:

You do not need a FID card to inherit weapons from deceased.

2C:50-3

Firearms passing to heirs or legatees. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section concerning the transfer, receipt or acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his heir or legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The person who shall so receive, or acquire said firearm shall, however, be subject to all other provisions of this chapter. If the heir or legatee of such firearm does not qualify to possess or carry it, he may retain ownership of the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period not exceeding 180 days, or for such further limited period as may be approved by the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the heir or legatee resides or the superintendent, provided that such firearm is in the custody of the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality or the superintendent during such period.

Oh I know. I just can't believe they are "allowed" to put that crap on the website!

Also good luck getting a call back, they are notorious for ignoring voice mails.

Ah, good. I'll keep good records. They may come in handy later. Thanks for the heads up.