theduke

Thumbhole/pistol grip legality questions

I have to 100% disagree with you on this statement for one reason: "and".

This means that BOTH requirements must be met. Not only must you be be able to hold and fire it with one hand, but the grip must ALSO be beneath the action of the weapon. Any DECENT lawyer should be able to fight that case.

Aren't you agreeing with me? I did say that it wouldn't apply (as in, it would not be classified as a "pistol grip"), I was thinking he was talking about a forward handgrip that would be held by the non trigger hand.

Aren't you agreeing with me? I did say that it wouldn't apply (as in, it would not be classified as a "pistol grip"), I was thinking he was talking about a forward handgrip that would be held by the non trigger hand.

I might have misread what you were saying then.

The member you were quoting was referring to a bullpup rifle, where the MAIN grip (trigger hand) is below the barrel, not the action of the rifle. Think Kel-Tec KSG, Steyr AUG, FAMAS. These are long guns that have the "pistol grip" below the barrel, not the action. Given the LITERAL meaning of this law, these rifles would technically NOT have a pistol grip, as BOTH requirements need to be met. The grips on these long guns do allow one to hold the long gun with one hand, but the grip is NOT below the action of the rifle (unless NJ considers the barrel as part of the "action"). This is because the law says "and", meaning both requirements need to be met.

I think we all just misunderstood each others posts.

I might have misread what you were saying then.

The member you were quoting was referring to a bullpup rifle, where the MAIN grip (trigger hand) is below the barrel, not the action of the rifle. Think Kel-Tec KSG, Steyr AUG, FAMAS. These are long guns that have the "pistol grip" below the barrel, not the action. Given the LITERAL meaning of this law, these rifles would technically NOT have a pistol grip, as BOTH requirements need to be met. The grips on these long guns do allow one to hold the long gun with one hand, but the grip is NOT below the action of the rifle (unless NJ considers the barrel as part of the "action"). This is because the law says "and", meaning both requirements need to be met.

I think we all just misunderstood each others posts.

I see your point with those long guns, it's an argument someone will have to make to a judge if they were to get jammed up for it.

Hopefully it won't be me.