NJdiverTony

Proper Lubrication of a Handgun?

You do need to watch your grease though. If it gets alot of particulate in it, the grease then becomes a lapping compound which is a no go for slide frame fit.

Most unburned powder residue (graphite) that gets trapped in the grease is actually lubricating in nature. Brass particles and other crap is what you should be concerned with.

Steel frame and steel slide pistols are the most forgiving, meaning, the most durable. I use a lite grease, specifically, Lubriplate NLG, an alimunum based food processing. Very highly thought of as a firearm lubricant. Some guys prefer a high quality oil which I believe will also do the jib. Lubriplate NLG is available from the Lubriplate On-Line Store in 14 oz, cans. Also, sold on-line under the name LubriKit. Very nice stuff.

Do a search for "Grant Cunningham" and read his Lubrication 101.

I use Grant's LubriKit and it's great stuff. The two syringes of grease and a bottle of oil for $19 have lasted me quite some time and the oil is very good quality. As a plus, it's food safe, as this is the same lube they use on food industry machinary. Nice to know my hands aren't touching really harsh stuff.

I use Slide-Glide and it is f'in great. You can buy it in 3 thicknesses for whichever type of gun you're using it on. I use regular in the spring/summer/fall and Lite in the winter. On my Sig, there is noticeably reduced felt recoil when the rails are coated in SG. The stuff is very stringy, and stays where you put it. Highly recommended.

You can pick it up at BrianEnos.com or Brownells I think.

I use Slide Glide also. Great stuff.

Slide glide is a completely different beast then Tetra, and it works very well, specially on guns that have long slide to frame surfaces (1911's, CZ's, etc). It doesn't make that much of a difference on short rail guns (M&P, etc) in my experience.

+1

+1 for Slide Glide. I love it!

With the right lubricant, you can fit a Cadillac in a doghouse. :icon_lol:

I have tried all different types of grease. Slide glide is the best.

I have tried lubriplate on the internals and then slide glide, but I tend to just stick with tw25 on the internals and then slide glide on the rails. Especially when I am going to be shooting more than 150 rounds at one time. I have actually put over 1000 rounds with one greasing and had no issues.