Sign in to follow this  
Teky0101

Low Priced 3.5 Shotgun Turkey Ammo In South Jersey?

Hi Everyone,

I have recently passed my hunters ed course and I am looking to go turkey hunting later this year. In the meantime I purchased a Mossberg 535 Turkey Gun from Dicks Sporting Goods and was wondering if anyone knows of a place either online or in the South Jersey area to purchase low cost effective turkey loads?

You know that "low cost" and 3.5" shells are not synonymous. Most shops sell these loads, and you can order them online as well. Now is actually a good time to order them as the season has ended. My advice would be to start patterning your gun with 3" shells first. The most important thing you can do to learn about loads and your gun is pattern with as many different loads to find the right combination. Look for weights in the 1 3/4 oz. to 2 oz. class and try those first. 3.5" shells with 2 1/4 oz. of shot will recoil excessively but will have less striking energy per pellet downrange in the smaller pellet sizes since their velocity is reduced a bit compared to shells with lighter, faster payloads. HD shot is supposed to give you a 4-8 yd. edge on energy with comparable velocities if you choose to go away from conventional lead, copper-plated or nickeled shot.

Shot size and what load patterns best is more important than payload size. Retained energy and penetration kills turkeys. My brother and I have used 2 3/4" shells with payloads as light as 1 1/2 oz., and with 3" shells with payloads up to 2oz. of shot. You don't "need" 3.5" shells. My preferred handloads are 1 3/4 oz to 1 7/8oz. using #5's or a buffered duplex load using a combination of 4's & 6's or 5's & 6's. Velocities will run 1275fps to 1300fps safely. Hone your hunting skills first, and kill birds as close as you can call them in. When distances are under 15 yds. you realize you don't need to throw 2 1/4 oz. of lead at them to drop them cleanly.

Some info on picking the right turkey load: The Right Shot Size

Keep in mind the descriptor "turkey loads" is a great marketing gimmick. Before the ban on lead shot for waterfowl, any heavy duck or goose load in shot sizes 4, 5 & 6 made for and doubled as great turkey loads. And they were found in 2 3/4" and 3" sizes, with payloads up to 1 7/8 oz. They were more than adequate.