There are two reasons why they ask for your employer information.

1. To intimidate you from applying in the first place for fear of being 'outed' to an anti gun employer.

2. To add another bureaucratic step in the process that will add time, and hopefully something gets lost or misplaced and it adds a lot of time that they can blame on a paperwork delay. Best case scenario is it makes you not apply becuase it's not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

i'm putting self employed, which i am , i thought the nj2as is suing the state over adding more requirements to the application process and i thought that question was one of them .

No. The state law requires two forms. The application form and the mental health check form. And the state law specifically prohibits additional forms than those two. Place of business is required by state law. It is the local town police departments adding more requirements that is against the law.

Applications for permits to purchase a handgun and for firearms purchaser identification cards shall be in the form prescribed by the superintendent and shall set forth the name, residence, place of business, age, date of birth, occupation, sex and physical description, including distinguishing physical characteristics, if any, of the applicant, and shall state whether the applicant is a citizen, whether he is an alcoholic, habitual drunkard, drug dependent person as defined in section 2 of P.L.1970, c.226 (C.24:21-2), whether he has ever been confined or committed to a mental institution or hospital for treatment or observation of a mental or psychiatric condition on a temporary, interim or permanent basis, giving the name and location of the institution or hospital and the dates of such confinement or commitment, whether he has been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition, giving the name and location of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the dates of such occurrence, whether he presently or ever has been a member of any organization which advocates or approves the commission of acts of force and violence to overthrow the Government of the United States or of this State, or which seeks to deny others their rights under the Constitution of either the United States or the State of New Jersey, whether he has ever been convicted of a crime or disorderly persons offense, whether the person is subject to a restraining order issued pursuant to the "Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-17 et. seq.) prohibiting the person from possessing any firearm, and such other information as the superintendent shall deem necessary for the proper enforcement of this chapter. For the purpose of complying with this subsection, the applicant shall waive any statutory or other right of confidentiality relating to institutional confinement. The application shall be signed by the applicant and shall contain as references the names and addresses of two reputable citizens personally acquainted with him.

There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

That question is there so that the local PD can verify employment - that is all. If your local PD uses your employer as a reference, they are overstepping their authority and going outside the guidelines of the NJSP. If your employer responds with anything other than whether you work there or not, they are violating your privacy and are liable to a civil suit.

You are right - it is one of the things the NJ2AS is looking at, but it's the abuse of that information, not the intended purpose. Be truthful on your app. To be otherwise opens you up to denial and criminal prosecution, if they want to push it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

thanks fellows , how many forms are you supposed to fill out for a pistol permit , i no there's the regular form for the state police , then there's the yellow mental health form , is there any other form that has to be filled out , ? any other form they give you is a no- no right.

thanks fellows , how many forms are you supposed to fill out for a pistol permit , i no there's the regular form for the state police , then there's the yellow mental health form , is there any other form that has to be filled out , ? any other form they give you is a no- no right.

3 Forms. The HG/FID form, the SBI NJSP background check form, and the mental health check form. Anything else they "mandate" AFAIK is not within their authority.

3 Forms. The HG/FID form (STS-033), the SBI NJSP background check form (SBI 212A), and the mental health check form (SP-066). Anything else they "mandate" AFAIK is not within their authority.

How stupid - sign this form that says you won't break the law. Regardless of the stupidity, this requirement is in direct contravention of 2C:58-3(f) which states, in part:

There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

Quote them the law. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

pk90 here is the form , what do you think about it.

POLICE DEPARTMENT

BRANCHBURG TOWNSHIP NJ

Effective January 1, 2010 , new jersey firearms law, njs 2c:58-3i , now says that you may not purchase more than one handgun every 30 days. Please keep this in mind when using your permits. Be mindful of the date of issuance , and the date of your last purchase before using the next permit.

any person who is found to have purchased two or more handguns within the 30 day period is violating the state statue and may be prosecuted with possible indictable charges upon review by the somerset county prosecutor’s office and the Branchburg police department.

if you are found to have purchased more than one handgun within the 30 day period, this may also subject you to prohibition of any future firearms permits being issued as well as revocation of your firearms identification card and handgun permits.

in order for your application to be processed/approved you must sign off and submit this form with your application packet.

I acknowledge receipt and review of this form, and have no further questions.

printed name signature date time.

Since they are making this a condition for obtaining your permit(s), it's illegal under the previously posted statute. Plus, if this is meant to be informative they seem to have neglected to inform you that multiple handgun purchases are still possible, outside the framework of OGAM, if you file for an exemption with the NJSP.

I'm sure that Paul will add his thoughts also.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

They fail to quote the entire statute which has exemptions that you may wish to take advantage of. By signing the form, you may be giving up that right. Of course, I am not an attorney. Below is the entire statute.

i.tab.gifRestriction on number of firearms person may purchase. Only one handgun shall be purchased or delivered on each permit and no more than one handgun shall be purchased within any 30-day period, but this limitation shall not apply to:

(1)tab.gifa federal, State or local law enforcement officer or agency purchasing handguns for use by officers in the actual performance of their law enforcement duties;

(2)tab.gifa collector of handguns as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) who has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives;

(3)tab.giftransfers of handguns among licensed retail dealers, registered wholesale dealers and registered manufacturers

(4)tab.giftransfers of handguns from any person to a licensed retail dealer or a registered wholesale dealer or registered manufacturer.

(5)tab.gifany transaction where the person has purchased a handgun from a licensed retail dealer and has returned that handgun to the dealer in exchange for another handgun within 30 days of the original transaction, provided the retail dealer reports the exchange transaction to the superintendent; or

(6)tab.gifany transaction where the superintendent issues an exemption from the prohibition in this subsection pursuant to the provisions of section 4 of P.L.2009, c.186 (C.2C:58-3.4).

The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed to afford or authorize any other exemption from the regulatory provisions governing firearms set forth in chapter 39 and chapter 58 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes;

A person shall not be restricted as to the number of rifles or shotguns he may purchase, provided he possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card and provided further that he signs the certification required in subsection b. of this section for each transaction.

The above exemptions are allowed without any exemption forms.

Pizza Bob beat me to it.

They fail to quote the entire statute which has exemptions that you may wish to take advantage of. By signing the form, you may be giving up that right. Of course, I am not an attorney. Below is the entire statute.

The above exemptions are allowed without any exemption forms.

Pizza Bob beat me to it.

So here's a question for you,

Do you think that when you read #2, that a person who has a C&R license could buy more than one handgun inside of 30 days without an approved exemption if they used permits and went through NICS and still be in compliance with NJ law? I say using permits and going though NICS because we all know you cannot use a C&R in NJ the way it was intended to be used.

So here's a question for you,

Do you think that when you read #2, that a person who has a C&R license could buy more than one handgun inside of 30 days without an approved exemption if they used permits and went through NICS and still be in compliance with NJ law? I say using permits and going though NICS because we all know you cannot use a C&R in NJ the way it was intended to be used.

Absolutely, providing they are a qualifying firearm, as defined by the federal statute cited. That is exactly what it says.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Usual disclaimer: IANAL

Absolutely,providing they are a qualifying firearm, as defined by the federal statute cited. That is exactly what it says.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Usual disclaimer: IANAL

I don't see that requirement in the NJ statute, I know that applies when you use a C&R to acquire firearms directly under federal law, but what I am referring to is buying using permits and NICS, which wouldn't concern the feds with regard to it qualifying as a C&R eligible firearm.

I don't see that requirement in the NJ statute, I know that applies when you use a C&R to acquire firearms directly under federal law, but what I am referring to is buying using permits and NICS, which wouldn't concern the feds with regard to it qualifying as a C&R eligible firearm.

(2)tab.gifa collector of handguns as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) who has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives;

The reason the exemption is granted is because they are curios or relics. If you are going to buy multiple modern arms (or just those that don't qualify as C&R) then you need to file for the exemption. Just as you can't use your C&R license to purchase non-C&R firearms directly, even in a free state.

I understand what you are saying, but I believe the inferrence is as I stated. If you can find an FFL to go along with you, more power to you.

Since Paul is an FFL, I'm curious as to what he has to say on this specific issue. I know I tend to be too paranoid sometimes - comes from living in this state for 33 years.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The reason the exemption is granted is because they are curios or relics. If you are going to buy multiple modern arms (or just those that don't qualify as C&R) then you need to file for the exemption. Just as you can't use your C&R license to purchase non-C&R firearms directly, even in a free state.

I understand what you are saying, but I believe the inferrence is as I stated. If you can find an FFL to go along with you, more power to you.

Since Paul is an FFL, I'm curious as to what he has to say on this specific issue. I know I tend to be too paranoid sometimes - comes from living in this state for 33 years.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Your paranoia is well founded, and I agree with you that it would be next to impossible to find an FFL in NJ to go along with a transfer of multiple non C&R handguns without an exemption.

I brought it up because the way I'm reading that statute I can't find a reason why a exemptionless multi modern handgun transfer would be illegal, if the recipient possesses a C&R license.

That being said, this is NJ, and we are subject to the states' notorious "interpretations"

just to update everyone on the permit status. i got my permits yesterday. 44 days it took. officer said he just wanted to remind me only buy 1 handgun every thirty days, and he said when he went for firearm application training with the state police that the township can't force me to sign any other form than what's required , that's what the state police told him.

he said when he went for firearm application training with the state police that the township can't force me to sign any other form than what's required , that's what the state police told him.

Well I hope thats new and required training and they are all going to go through it, hope they mentioned it's 30 days to get your FID and P2P's and you can apply for as many P2P's as you like.

Harry