Sign in to follow this  
Sixtytwo327

HK91 Magazines – NJ Conversion

I have a bunch (30+) at my parent’s house out of state.

Does anyone know of a way to modify them to make them NJ compliant? For example, a bolt that sticks out of the floor plate or a new follower?

Finally, if I have that part machined (which reduces the magazine capacity to the NJ legal 15 rounds) and perform those modifications out-of-state, they're legal in NJ and I can bring them in - is my understanding correct?

Might be over thinking this one, but I hate them just sitting there...

Thanks always for the advice.

What I have seen done is taking a block of aluminum and attaching it to the bottom of the follower in a permanent fashion. Such as permanently riviting it or screw and weld/high temp silver solder.

Legality? Sounds permanent to me... But, I ain't the law...

NJ LAW doesn't actually require you to "permanently" block the mags, they just can't hold more than 15 rounds. The ADMINISTRATIVE CODE requires dealers to sell only mags that have been "permanently" blocked. What has been considered "permanent" has changed several times and is open to debate since it is not defined in NJ law.

It would probably be best to make a good faith attempt to block the mags permanently to avoid being the test case the rest of us are looking for to settle this issue. That would probably involve welding a rod into the mag to block the follower from traveling all the way down. Or, you could try to cut the mag down and rebend the tabs on the bottom to make a shorter mag. Most of these mags are aluminum, which is harder to work with. There are some steel mags out there, those are better for modification.

I think I'm going to try both approaches on two aluminum and two steel magazines and see which ones work best.

I could probably braze a something to the follower, then mark them "NJ Compliant" somehow, even if it's just with a sharpie, so the range officer doesn't see full-size mags and assume they're illegal. With cutting, I'm not sure if the spring in the shorter length would cause feeding issues - don't think so (it'd be just like those rounds were s till in the magazine) but I'd want to see it in action first.

I have access to a decent shop, so that'll be a fun project next time I visit my folks... I'm not trying to do anything cute and skirt the law - will definitely make a good faith effort to make the mods permanent.

The steel ones are like $2 at CTD, and the aluminum ones are only $0.97. I think I'll ask my dad order for ten of each and see what happens.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to try both approaches on two aluminum and two steel magazines and see which ones work best.

I could probably braze a something to the follower, then mark them "NJ Compliant" somehow, even if it's just with a sharpie, so the range officer doesn't see full-size mags and assume they're illegal. With cutting, I'm not sure if the spring in the shorter length would cause feeding issues - don't think so (it'd be just like those rounds were s till in the magazine) but I'd want to see it in action first.

I have access to a decent shop, so that'll be a fun project next time I visit my folks... I'm not trying to do anything cute and skirt the law - will definitely make a good faith effort to make the mods permanent.

The steel ones are like $2 at CTD, and the aluminum ones are only $0.97. I think I'll ask my dad order for ten of each and see what happens.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

I don't think it would, and if it did you could always cut a little off the spring if necessary.

I have a NJ legal rifle that came with 20rd Magpul magazines. The magazines were permanently blocked by the rifle manufacturer to only hold 10 rounds. They basically drilled a hole in both sides of the body of the magazine, and inserted a pop-rivet. Now you can still take the floor plate off to clean it, but the follower won't come out or go past the projecting rivets.

Haven't done it yet, but I saw a company in California that was selling pieces of kydex to block the magazines. Basically you take a rectangular piece of flat kydex, and it gets inserted between the spring and the back of the magazine. Now the follower won't be able to go any farther than the kydex piece. You can get a sheet of your own kydex pretty cheap from knifekits.com.

I was thinking after doing this, drill a hole in the back of the magazine through the kydex and inserting a pop-rivet. The kydex would then be permanently attached to the magazine body. Of course the rivet might interfere with the spring, so you might have to do this towards the bottom of the magazine.

In case that doesn't work, just insert the kydex and drill a hole in the bottom of the magazine floor plate. Put a pop-rivet in so the floor plate can't come off, and you should be good.

Years ago when the mags could be temporarily blocked, I went to home depot and got some small pvc pipe and cut it into little sections. For the M14 magazines, there was a space between the spring and the body of the magazine. You could just put the pipe in there, and put the floor plate back on. Now I would do the same and rivet the floor plate on. I'm not sure what the interior of the HK mags look like, but thought I'd mention it anyway.