RecessedFilter

One time every year...

La Dama de la Noche is a plant we have that is a pretty special plant. Translated from spanish to english, the name basically means the lady/woman of the night. It gets the name from only flowering at night, they consider the plant an insomniac. It only flowers one time every year. Now I've read that some of these plants flower for weeks, while others flower even just one day a year. They usually flower in the spring and summer, but ours usually flowers later in the beginning of fall. After about two year of growing three of them, it seems like this one is some sort of variant of La Dama, as it seems to have a different cycle than normal ones. The other two flowered in the summer.

It is considered a bush but it is the weirdest bush we've ever grown...it looks like more of a skinny tall cactus with lots of arms, nothing like a bush.

It's pretty cool because this plant only flowers for a few (if that) nights a year and that's it. Usually it's two or maybe three nights. I am glad I was up researching gun stuff on the computer (typical) until the wee hours of this morning because I caught it!

I know most people on here might not be a gardener or anything, but I thought it would be fun to share this. I grow a couple cool plants like these, but most of my time during the summer is spent on my hot pepper garden I've been growing for the past 5 or 6 years.

Anyway, I grabbed my camera, and one of my handguns, and in typical gun enthusiast fashion, here it is:

post-2200-0-24726000-1317456391_thumb.jpg

post-2200-0-22656000-1317456760_thumb.jpg

post-2200-0-04072800-1317456683_thumb.jpg

- Note the size of the flower, it's pretty big. I would say it's about 7-9inches wide.

That's cool you caught it. Sounds easy to miss, especially if you're not an insomniac.

The other two plants we have flower for quite a few consecutive nights so it's not as difficult to catch them flowering. This white one though is tough, usually you have to watch the flower pod grow bigger and bigger and take a peek every night to see if it opens up.

Are you sure that's not wolfsbane, or that rare orchid that Henry Hull was looking for in Werewolf of London?Actually, I thought you were another married guy complaining about your love life. :icon_e_wink:

Hahaha I had to chuckle at that! Funny thing is, when I wrote this up along with the title that didn't even pop into my head until now..

Here is one of the others, I missed the third one this year but I caught 2 out or 3 so it's not too bad. Yes, I know this is in daylight but it was pretty early in the morning just before the flower started dying.

post-2200-0-40992000-1317483554_thumb.jpg

This is my new desktop background! thanks brother

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed the pics!

Can you smoke it?

I believe the native americans used to dry the flower, crush it up, and snort it. Supposedly it's like lsd.

Ok ok, maybe not, but it was worth a shot.