M4BGRINGO

Handgun Purchase Permit Question

Let's say you own several handguns all bought since the OGAM was passed. You purchased each handgun with a permit, now you want to buy something different. Why do we need to get MORE permits? Why can't we fill-out a form letting us "transfer" the Purchase Permit for an existing handgun and use it for a new handgun? I am thinking that we can sell an existing handgun to the FFL that we are buying a different handgun from. Why go through the 4 week to 6 month waiting process again? We can still fork-over the $2.00 if they want it. Seems like a simple concept, no? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

That would eliminate bureacracy and paperwork trails of our gun ownership and simplify our lives. Simply unacceptable. The whole purpose of the permit system is to make it difficult to buy a gun so that all but the persistent give up.

Yup, topic brought up before and there is no good answer other than it's NJ and the laws are BS. I don't agree with needing a P2P in the first place, but while we have this system, I think that it should be good for 1 gun per permit and the gun should be exchangeable or replaceable. In the end if I have 12 permits, I own 12 guns purchased in NJ (wouldn't include guns legally purchased in other states) but I could also have 1 P2P and have one gun but it could have been exchanged or replaced over and over.

Harry

You are trying to inject logic where there is none.

NJ gun laws don't make any sense...

Not true, NJ gun laws make perfect sense as long as you realize the actual purpose for them.

They are designed to prevent as much legal gun ownership as possible without actually banning them. This is exactly the same principle as literacy tests and poll taxes used in the old south to prevent blacks from voting without explicitly prohibiting them. So every bureaucratic and administrative step, every ambiguous and unclear regulation serves its purpose to delay and discourage you from even starting the process. And if people get intimidated enough to give up gun ownership all together for frustration or fear of accidentally breaking a law, then that's perfect success.

Not true, NJ gun laws make perfect sense as long as you realize the actual purpose for them.

They are designed to prevent as much legal gun ownership as possible without actually banning them. This is exactly the same principle as literacy tests and poll taxes used in the old south to prevent blacks from voting without explicitly prohibiting them. So every bureaucratic and administrative step, every ambiguous and unclear regulation serves its purpose to delay and discourage you from even starting the process. And if people get intimidated enough to give up gun ownership all together for frustration or fear of accidentally breaking a law, then that's perfect success.

Yeah, we all know that's the unofficial purpose for these laws. Officially they will tell us it's to ensure public safety. :spiteful::icon_rolleyes: