Pizza Bob

Wicen's Range / Furlong, PA

Anybody ever shot there? I've known about it for years, but never investigated. I now realize they are less than 13 miles from my house. They are a public range and have a 25 yard handgun range and a 100 yard rifle range, as well as facilities for shotguns/clay birds. They charge a $15 daily fee. You do have to get a "Safety Badge" for each firearm type you are going to use (rifle / handgun / shotgun). This is a onetime fee of $7 per badge.

I had a couple questions and I e-mailed them, but have yet to hear back. I wondered if there were intermediate backstops, say at 25, 50 & 75 yards, on the rifle range, and 7, 10 & 15 yards on the handgun range. I also wondered if once you pay the daily fee you can leave and return throughout that day. Anybody know the answers to these questions, or have any comments about the facilities, people, etc.?

Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wicen's is a good place with a few quirks.

Targets are stapled to stands and set out at the various range markers. There is one berm at the 100 yard line for rifle and 25 yard line for pistol iifc. There are concrete brick in the ground to help identify the ranges in 25 yard increments. The stands and stalers are provided. In my experience only paper/carboard targets have been allowed.

They are very much concerned with safety. I've been there 6 times at varying levels of business and there was one RO per 3-4 'lanes.' I've never been muzzle swept there unlike Range 14 (which I also really like, but one RO in the tower has a lot of ground to observe.

The RO's I've met have been friendly, respectful, and helpful without being overbearing.

Provided it isn't peak business time (beginings of hunting season)you can leave your stuff and go get lunch or visit Tanner's for ammo etc.

For rifles you shoot from the provided benches which are inside large concrete drainage hubs (I don't know the technical term). This does tend to reflect sound so decent hearing protection is a must. For pistol you can shoot either standing or sitting.

Rapid fire is not allowed and I've heard RO's politely, but firmly ask folks to slow it down to one shot every two seconds or so.

Overall it's a really nice place to shoot.

Theron pretty much summed it up. The concrete bunkers you shoot from can be annoying, they will test how good your ear protection really is. Like shooting in a tunnel.

After I paid the fees, they directed me to a bunker at the pistol range with an RSO in tow. He brought a plastic chair with him and sat behind me for about 10-15 minutes. After he was satisfied that I knew what I was doing and practicing firearm safety, he signed off on my badge. It's kind of like qualifying.

As Theron mentioned, rapid fire is frowned upon. One of the RSO's told me 1 shot every 3 seconds on the pistol range. So much for double taps. Regardless of the cons, I still like it there and will shoot there again. They have good training instructors also. I did my RSO course there, and it was top notch. I learned a lot.