GiantsFan

Smith & Wesson 1911s

Can someone please explain the differences between the S&W 1911E series and the SW1911 Pro Series?

(Other then caliber I mean.)

Seems to me that S&W makes three grades of the 1911

The low end model is a no brainer but it's hard to tell (by looking at S&Ws website) which is the better pistol, the "E" series or the "Pro" series? What are the big differences there? I think I may be leaning towards a Pro model 1911 chambered in 9mm, so that would make selection a moot point. Still, I'd like to understand the differences before I truly decide.

From what I understand the biggest difference (which really isn't that big of a deal) is a hand polished feed ramp. Here's some info right off of the S&W site, about the Pro Series 1911:

• 4 – 4 1/2 lb. Smooth Trigger Pull

• Double Sided Frame Safety

• 30 LPI Frontstrap Checkering

• Hand Polished Barrel Feed Ramp

• Precision Crowned Muzzle

The only different between the Pro and the E-Series is the Feed Ramp. The E-Series uses the larger external extractor just like the Pro series, has a great trigger just like the Pro Series and the frontstrap checkering. I also believe the E-Series has the Precision crowned muzzle as well.

Oh and another difference on the Pro Series (for .45ACP version anway) is that it has fiber optic sights. My E-Series 1911 has Tritium night sights, which I prefer.

I've shot the .45ACP version of the Pro Series S&W 1911 and it really feels no different than my E-Series... The "E Series" is a great shooter and in my opinion also the better looking of the two. Now, the 9mm Pro Series is another story... I love the way it looks... and I hear they are great shooters.

And then there's the "Performance Series" above the PRO and costs hundreds more too. Too much confusion as the Performance Series is the one with the 'crowned muzzle." S&W needs to do a much better job with their website because this is all quite confusing. They need to include a link to a full pdf catalog on line.

1911-E

SW1911 (PRO Series)

SW1911 Performance Series (which looks identical to the PRO)

??

the only big difference they point out is the price.

FWIW I like the looks of the "E" series but really wanted to find either a .40 cal or 9mm 1911 with ambidexterous safety (since I'm a lefty). Para-USA makes one in .40 cal., Taurus make one in 9mm too. I was trying to stick with S&W though.

The pro is hand fitted in their pro series shop it is not a production gun.

I think you mean the Performance Series is hand fitted. I don't believe the Pro Series are. This is straight from S&W's site:

Pro Series: PIstols

Completing the line between main production and the Performance Center, the Smith & Wesson Pro Series represents the next step from standard models. These firearms are offered with a variety of enhancements yet still remain true to "stock." Bringing competition specifications and features to factory models, the Pro Series offer that ready-to-go package while still maintaining production line integrity

Then for the Performance Center pistols it states:

Performance Center: Pistols

Performance Center guns originate from standard designs or are created from the ground up. From hand cutting and fitting to fine tuning for precision, these firearms are top performers. Products from the Performance Center are the ultimate expression of old-world craftsmanship blended with modern technology

There is really not that much difference between the Pro Series and the E-Series, which is also why they retail for just about the same amount of money.

Smith offers the four grades of pistol as mentioned above:

SW1911: standard production, just rolls right off the assembly line into the customer's hands.

SW1911 E-series: the new standard production, also just rolls right off the assembly line, but they have a few very nice enhancements over the older SW1911 series.

Then with a little more detail and attention you have the SW1911 Pro Series. These pistols also start their life on the assembly line, but they then get picked up by the Performance Center team and they do some final polishing, fitting and, quality checking. Then they go to the customer.

Finally, the top of the line Performance Center guns are entirely hand fitted and finished. The PC team actually gets slide and frame blanks and they make all of the cuts, producing one finely crafted pistol! That's why they cost so much more of a premium over the other series.

There's a pretty cool video on YouTube that shows some of the behind the scenes at the Performance Center: