Sign in to follow this  
gimmemym1

gun stock market

I found this on the PAFOA forum, thought the c&r guys on here might find this useful.

How many times has someone posted "Did I get a good deal?" or "How much is my such-and-such SKS worth?" How to you know when you got a good deal? How do you know when to tell the wife, or sneak the new acquisition into the house later? If you ever do sell (we never sell guns, right?), how do you know how much to ask?

I was faced with all those questions, so I wrote a program to scan the auction sites and follow the trends. While I'm only covering a few types of collectible guns currently, I'll add more if you have suggestions and time permits. I've posted this information on a site I created at www.gunstockmarket.net (.net, not .com). It's updated automatically every hour, and while it may miss a brand new auction and skip others because the spelling is atrocious (it runs automatically, so software reads the text not a human. I'm amazed at how many misspellings bubba can come up with for Izhevsk! It is truly impressive how many ways to misspell words that even edit distance algorithms can't pick up) I never intended it to replace looking at auction sites.

That's a cool site with some great info! Do you know if the software counts the items that are priced ridiculously high and get zero bids, or does it only count items that have at least one bid?

I'm curious, because I see a lot of guns listed on auction sites that are waaaayyyy over priced and never see one bid, which might skew the reported price above the actual market price if they are taken into account.