Malsua

Duty to retreat if you arrive at a burglary in progress?

USCCA (United States Concealed Carry Association) is one company that offers Gun owners a legal team that specializes in defending gun owners.

They have different levels of membership (Insurance coverage)

God forbid you find yourself in that position, your homeowners will pay nothing to defend you nor a lawsuit by the intruder. (Happens all the time)

There is another group that offers similar protection, I just don't know their name....

Found an information page on it: https://www.usconcea...efits-RevA2.pdf

My own takaways on it:

-The coverage limits for civil liabilities are only available if the suit arises out of an act of "self defense", so one has to have already been cleared by the state as having acted in self defense in order for this coverage to apply to any civil suits against you.

-The civil suit coverage likely includes costs of defense within the policy limits, so a long civil trial would quickly erode any available coverage for any judgement ultimately made against the coverage holder, and the limits are already a bit low to begin with for all but the platinum level.

-This is not first dollar coverage for criminal defense. You're still on your own and will have to come up with funds for your criminal defense. This element of the coverage will, at most, help you recoup a portion of significant out of pocket expenses IF you have been found not guilty of any charges that were brought against you. So if you get railroaded by the state, which we have seen in the past & WILL see again, you are SOL for recouping those expenses.

They add that there is a Legal Defense foundation that can bridge the gap for this financial exposure, but the criteria for the legal foundation seem to indicate you'd still be on your own to get a good laywer and it'd ultimately be at their discretion whether or not to help you. No matter how generous they may choose to be when offering such legal defense grants, there are no guarantees offered whatsoever.

Basically, these membership benefits might have the potential to help someone get some money back when all is said & done, but this program does not seem like something a gun owner can count on to have their back right after a self defense shooting. You're still on your own to get a good lawyer and find a way to pay for that lawyers help. You're REALLY on your own if the criminal case does not go in your favor. This "protection" really only seems to kick in and play a factor when all the really important stuff is already over & done with, from what I can see.

In classes on Home defense that I took the instructions were "Unless your life in in eminent danger do not shoot!"

Stealing your TV doesn't put your life in danger. If you go looking around your house when you hear a noise in the middle of the night....YOU are guilty of "Hunting" your life was not in eminent danger until you approached the intruder.

Solution: Call the cops they get paid to hunt. Take a protected defensive stand and protect your loved ones. Call 911 and leave the phone line "Open" shout a warning that you are armed. and that the police are on the way to exit NOW, let the 911 recording get a record of all that!

If you want to go out on patrol go to Kandahar, they always need people like you.

What a bunch of bull. As a parent, it is my responsibility to make sure there is no potential threat that may jeopardize the safety of my children in another room. If I hear a strange "bump" in the night, I'm damn straight going hunting to make sure my family is safe.

Additionally, what may be just a burglary at one point may quickly change into a hostage situation if you dial 911 and the police pull up advertising their lights and sirens. Being nice to your enemies is being cruel to your family and yourself.

What a bunch of bull. As a parent, it is my responsibility to make sure there is no potential threat that may jeopardize the safety of my children in another room. If I hear a strange "bump" in the night, I'm damn straight going hunting to make sure my family is safe.

Additionally, what may be just a burglary at one point may quickly change into a hostage situation if you dial 911 and the police pull up advertising their lights and sirens. Being nice to your enemies is being cruel to your family and yourself.

Easy solution, make sure there's only one side to the story in the police report.