Phillies

M14/M1A Legality in Nj

I know a "M1A" with ban compliant features is legal in NJ but the only rifles that you'll see marked "M1A" are the ones mde by Springfield Armory. I was thinking of getting a CMP M14 parts kits and getting it built onto a semi auto receiver. But each company has their own name for a semi auto M14 type receiver. Are there any certain words on the receiver that would make it a no go?

M14S type is what is on the list. Even if it was stamped M14S, it is still legal in my opinion. BUT, that aside, it wont be marked M14S so thats a moot issue.

If you read the NJSP clarification, it states that an M1A made without evil features is legal. And M1A with the features is illegal. Its about the features not the name. Therfore, as long as its built NJ compliant (no lug) you are OK

Of course, I am not a lawyer and advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it!

Read the law. You are allowed one feature. A flash hider or threads to accept one is considered one feature. Therfore with just a flash hider you are good to go...

People permenently attach BRAKES to threaded muzzles so that the threads dont count as a feature, since the brake doesnt either. If you welded a muzzle brake onto an M1A you could have one feature elsewhere.

Without a pistol grip, you can have the threaded barrel with a non pinned muzzle brake. If you want it to be a flash suppressor, has to be pinned on. You can have something like this not pinned on and you will be good to go. If you decide to put a pistol grip stock on, you will have to have it pinned first. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12788/Product/M14-M1A-MUZZLE-BRAKE

Without a pistol grip, you can have the threaded barrel with a non pinned muzzle brake. If you want it to be a flash suppressor, has to be pinned on. You can have something like this not pinned on and you will be good to go. If you decide to put a pistol grip stock on, you will have to have it pinned first. http://www.brownells...1A-MUZZLE-BRAKE

Not sure where you get that.

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. a folding or telescoping stock;
  2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
  3. a bayonet mount;
  4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
  5. a grenade launcher;

Flash supressor and threaded barrel are the same evil feature, so you can have a standard M1A with no bayonet lug and a flash supressor and threaded barrel. If you want to add a bayonet lug though you have to pin/weld a brake on first.

Nope flash hider is OK in this case. Even the NJSP agree in the letter. All the post-ban M1As have threaded on flash hiders. The flash hider or threads to accept one are one feature... a brake would only benefit you if you permenently attached it because then you could free up another feature. Otherwise you may as well use the flash hider

M14S type is what is on the list. Even if it was stamped M14S, it is still legal in my opinion. BUT, that aside, it wont be marked M14S so thats a moot issue.

If you read the NJSP clarification, it states that an M1A made without evil features is legal. And M1A with the features is illegal. Its about the features not the name. Therfore, as long as its built NJ compliant (no lug) you are OK

Of course, I am not a lawyer and advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it!

Isnt a Polytech/Norinco stamped on the heel or receiver side M14S..?? Wouldnt that be illegal? I mean a PTR-91 is legal, but a CETME or G3 is illegal because its stamped on receiver...

I have tried looking throughout these posts and have found different reasons to believe both sides. Basically, I want to buy either a M1A or a Fultons Armory receiver and buy a stock with a pistol grip. I have heard from all the "sea lawyers" different things. Today at one gun shop an employee told me I could not do this because I cant get a barrel that has a permanent muzzle brake on it. Does anyone know about this? Again, I am new to New Jerseys laws and am by no means a armorer so I am not sure what is able to be welded, pinned and all that jazz. I just want a simple M1A with a sweet stock. I thought the price would have deterred me, not the state. Thank you in advance. Also I have seen the 5 rules along with the magazine and this is where I am confused and the employee looked a little unsure. He said at first it was a rule of the 5. then I asked if i have a brake welded on would that be possible, then he stated a different rule. No hard feelings towards him, but i just didn't seem too confident that my dream was crushed. But I am kind of thinking that is the case, New Jersey has that effect on its people. Thanks.

I have tried looking throughout these posts and have found different reasons to believe both sides. Basically, I want to buy either a M1A or a Fultons Armory receiver and buy a stock with a pistol grip. I have heard from all the "sea lawyers" different things. Today at one gun shop an employee told me I could not do this because I cant get a barrel that has a permanent muzzle brake on it. Does anyone know about this? Again, I am new to New Jerseys laws and am by no means a armorer so I am not sure what is able to be welded, pinned and all that jazz. I just want a simple M1A with a sweet stock. I thought the price would have deterred me, not the state. Thank you in advance. Also I have seen the 5 rules along with the magazine and this is where I am confused and the employee looked a little unsure. He said at first it was a rule of the 5. then I asked if i have a brake welded on would that be possible, then he stated a different rule. No hard feelings towards him, but i just didn't seem too confident that my dream was crushed. But I am kind of thinking that is the case, New Jersey has that effect on its people. Thanks.

Any new SAI M1A is NJ legal as it is from SAI. If you want to change the stock, that's where you run into issues. I have one myself and it's not welded or anything. As mentioned, the threaded barrel with the flash suppressor count as one evil feature, not two.

forgive my massive amount of confusion, honestly, but i am looking up at the list and it says flash suppressor is one, but if it has a brake that would not be an evil. so the only evil would be the pistol grip, given it has no bayonet lug, suppressor, collapsible stock, and unfortunately, a 203 or grenade launcher. I guess my main confusion lies with this...If there is a brake and not a flash suppressor, and it is welded on, not pinned i should be ok with a pistol grip? given none of the others qualify.

what qel hoth said. also you need to be careful about what stock you have on that stage... if adjustable for folder or slider not length of pull it must b pinned.

I had and m 1 a and I just sold it because I just could not make it into what I wanted.