Sign in to follow this  
tblant

Light on Mossberg 930?

Someone mentioned last week in the Home Defense Shotgun post that others were high on the 930. Is it possible to mount a light to the 4 plus 1 version of this shotgun? I believe the 4 plus one with normal stock is NJ legal...at least that is my interpretation of Vlad's post outlining the evil features determined by NJ. Thx

Someone mentioned last week in the Home Defense Shotgun post that others were high on the 930. Is it possible to mount a light to the 4 plus 1 version of this shotgun? I believe the 4 plus one with normal stock is NJ legal...at least that is my interpretation of Vlad's post outlining the evil features determined by NJ. Thx

Heck, you cna bump it up to 6 rounds and it's legal. That's what I did. Cheapest way to get a light on it is get a +2 tube, and a nordic magazine tube clamp with rail segments. Then you can mount any of your wepon lights, or get a v-tac plastic light mount.

Or you can get the aimpro tri-rail and mount any rail mountable light on it. I also have one of those on mine. THe aimpro guys were not that easy to get ahold of to give them my money though.

" A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds; and/or"...If the shotgun in its current form is 4+1 and I purchase a 2 shot extension that makes it 6+1....does the +1 count as "fixed" magazine capacity?

One more question if you don't mind...can you recommend where I should search for the +2 extension tube? Is adding this (or replacing the existing one) easy to do on a semi-auto (I have no experience with this stuff in case it is not too obvious)? Thanks, I appreciate it.

" A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds; and/or"...If the shotgun in its current form is 4+1 and I purchase a 2 shot extension that makes it 6+1....does the +1 count as "fixed" magazine capacity?

One more question if you don't mind...can you recommend where I should search for the +2 extension tube? Is adding this (or replacing the existing one) easy to do on a semi-auto (I have no experience with this stuff in case it is not too obvious)? Thanks, I appreciate it.

6+1. That 1 isn't in the magazine, it is in the chamber, so how is it magazine capacity? Heck, the AWB limited magazine capacity to 10, and it wasn't like everyone was selling 9 round magazines.

Choate makes a +2, and nordic components makes one. Nordic costs more, but is WAAAAYYYY nicer. It is also 3 parts, so if you leave NJ, you jsut buy the middle bit and a spring and you can have whatever capacity you want. Also you cna get different end caps is you are going to run a longer follower to prevent binding (I'm running an S&J hardware type 2 follower). The least obvious part is popping the little doohickey that is under the forend cap out of the magazine tube because it doesn't look like it is meant to come out. You just take some needle nose pliers and pry it up a little on one side, a little on the other until you have wiggled it out. The hardest part is trimming the magazine spring that comes with it to the proper length. There's osme trial and error, but mostly it's jsut very hard spring steel and PITA to actually clip.

It took me about 20-30 minutes being careful and figuring stuff out. If I did it again it's probably be about 10, and 8 of that would be messing with the spring and applying some anti vibration compound ot the threads for peace of mind.

Noridc stuff is here:

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-Shotgun-Accessories_c4.htm

Choate tube is here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/172175/choate-magazine-tube-extension-with-sling-swivel-clamp-mossberg-930-12-gauge-2-round-parkerized

aimpro tri rail is here:

http://aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tactical_930_tri-rail_forend.htm

Thanks, I have been researching it on the net since your first post led me in the direction. JUst wanted to be sure I understand the "fixed" capacity terminology....the downside of getting it wrong is too significant not to ask. Thanks again, you have been very helpful and my questions are answered.