Sign in to follow this  
ITman

Do LEO's need handgun permits to purchase

Sorry I missed your post before I posted mine but Feds can still acquire guns from the manufacturer. I don't know why you had the manufacturer fill out P2Ps for you. If you are ordering guns to use in conjunction with your official duties and they are delivered to your office, state law has no impact whatsoever. Any "official acts" by a Federal agency or LEO done in conjunction with official duties are not subject to any state or local law.

In actual practice I've seen it applied differently. Some agencies won't do it all, some agencies will do something uncalled for (like require you to get P2P, some agencies differ from office to office, and some agencies not only allow it they have it written into their firearms policies.

Before anyone gets cranky about Feds getting all these guns at a discount, they have to be used for official duties (like you can't buy a Glock 34 unless it is authorized by your agency) and you can't get away with buying 5 or 6 a year.

^^^^^^^^ This was my understanding as to how things are for Fed LEOs

Sorry I missed your post before I posted mine but Feds can still acquire guns from the manufacturer. I don't know why you had the manufacturer fill out P2Ps for you. If you are ordering guns to use in conjunction with your official duties and they are delivered to your office, state law has no impact whatsoever. Any "official acts" by a Federal agency or LEO done in conjunction with official duties are not subject to any state or local law.

Please do not tell me about what we did, I was there.

I am also familiar with federal pre-emption and agency firearms policies.

SIG no longer does it in many states, which iclude NY and NJ. Going back to the 70's, our guys in the DCFO could not get any of the deals. Last I did it with Glock was 1988, and before that with Davidons in 1981.

The fact is that the weapon eventually will end up in your personal possession, so as FIU noted, you can do the permit now or when you retire. AFA the agency, they did all the letters and received the wepaons, then put them on your property card. You paid for the weapon and it belonged to you. While it was subject to the same controls as government owned weapons, it was classed as a personally owned weapon. So yes, state law does have an impact, unless yuou are going to turn the weapon to government title.

A lot of this was before the net, when you could buy from a local store or basically not at all. In those days, most stores would give you an LE discount if you asked. The advantage back then was that you could get better prices from the mail order police supply houses than even the local LE discounts, and you didn't have to do a 4473 if you went the letter route.

As a friend of mine, who was the head of FIU told me, the question of whether a PP was needed was up in the air, so it was just easier to do it then than later. But it eventually would need to be done.

Please do not tell me about what we did, I was there.

I am also familiar with federal pre-emption and agency firearms policies.

SIG no longer does it in many states, which iclude NY and NJ. Going back to the 70's, our guys in the DCFO could not get any of the deals. Last I did it with Glock was 1988, and before that with Davidons in 1981.

The fact is that the weapon eventually will end up in your personal possession, so as FIU noted, you can do the permit now or when you retire. AFA the agency, they did all the letters and received the wepaons, then put them on your property card. You paid for the weapon and it belonged to you. While it was subject to the same controls as government owned weapons, it was classed as a personally owned weapon. So yes, state law does have an impact, unless yuou are going to turn the weapon to government title.

A lot of this was before the net, when you could buy from a local store or basically not at all. In those days, most stores would give you an LE discount if you asked. The advantage back then was that you could get better prices from the mail order police supply houses than even the local LE discounts, and you didn't have to do a 4473 if you went the letter route.

As a friend of mine, who was the head of FIU told me, the question of whether a PP was needed was up in the air, so it was just easier to do it then than later. But it eventually would need to be done.

exfed, no where in my response do I claim to know what you did. You related your experiences and opinions regarding the issue with Federal agencies you are familiar with and I related mine. You even state that your friend who was head of FIU stated "the question of whether a PP was needed was up in the air". You take the stance that a permit is required in these transactions and I think its not and we both state why.

We can agree to disagree but I never claimed to "know what you did' and related what transpired at agencies where I worked and those I am familiar with.