NJKen

Ruger MkIII Hunter

I got out on the farm today (see my post in bucket 3) and got a few hundred rounds through this pistol. I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone considering it. To me it is a very balanced very accurate pistol. Rite out of the box I could shoot a nice group (about 2 iinches) at 7 yards and I did manage to hit a 30" x 30" steel target at 100 yards about 9 out of 10 times. I think once I get the sights adjusted it will be one of my most accurate pistols. Just make sure you put it down quick when the cops come.

Just my $.02

Ken

I like my Mk III Target. It's definitely a fun, accurate shooter, but out of the box, the trigger was a sack of junk. The single best mod was a new trigger. I used a stainless Volquartsen with adjustable pre and post-travel and it made a world of difference.

Second best mod was ditching the magazine safety so I didn't have to rip the empty magazine out with my fingertips every time.

Then on to a nice grip, but that's the easiest mod and all personal preference.

It's good to hear you all having a good experience with the Hunter. I just bought mine (my first firearm of any sort) last Thursday. Planning to go to the range this Wednesday and try it out. Can't wait! Aside from how accurate it's said to be, it just plain looks nasty! :icon_mrgreen:

Since I've got nothing to compare it with, the trigger feels just fine to me. I thought about putting a Volquartsen trigger kit into it right away, but decided I should get a good feel for it first and see how I do with it. If at some point I get better than the gun, I can always upgrade the action.

What kind of ammo have you all been using? I've heard it can be a "picky eater".

It's good to hear you all having a good experience with the Hunter. I just bought mine (my first firearm of any sort) last Thursday. Planning to go to the range this Wednesday and try it out. Can't wait! Aside from how accurate it's said to be, it just plain looks nasty! :icon_mrgreen:

Since I've got nothing to compare it with, the trigger feels just fine to me. I thought about putting a Volquartsen trigger kit into it right away, but decided I should get a good feel for it first and see how I do with it. If at some point I get better than the gun, I can always upgrade the action.

What kind of ammo have you all been using? I've heard it can be a "picky eater".

By all means, feel out the stock trigger for a while, there's no rush. Mine was a little wiggly in the frame and the trigger, plunger and disconnect didn't seem to mate well. All that made for a trigger that, out of the box, didn't reset about 10 to 15% of the time.

If you're dry firing your new rimfire, what are you doing to protect the firing pin? If you've got that covered, try cycling the action before releasing the trigger and feel where it resets.

CCI minimags are the best to feed her, but can be expensive. I like federal 500 bulk and winchester 333 bricks. The remington small game loads have me a ridiculous amount of misfire duds, and I've had to pick a couple out of the chamber because the ejector couldn't find the rim. Since break in, I can't say I've had any ftf or fte on any of the bulk (except the remington fte's), but the minimags never have me an issue.

Also, I don't know about the hunter's fiber optic sight, but the target's front iron sight had a tendency to work loose. A bit of lock tite on the sight's screw is recommended.

All that said, bring a small screw driver in your range bag. My pocket knife with a leather punch was handy to pull out the fte's.

I prefer the partridge sights on the Target model but love the Hunter. You can replace the Target Rear Notch V sight blade with the square target one for the Target Mark III:

http://shopruger.com/MR05901-MK-I-II-MK-III-Target-Sq-Notch-Rear-Sight-Blade/productinfo/61037/

Also, I like the Hogue rubber grips with the thumb rest for the Mark II. They can be slightly altered by carefully, and easily, cutting a piece of the grip out where the mag release button is on the Mark III and they work nicely with the Mark III Hunter. And, they help with taming that overwhelming recoil :).

I like just about everything about the Mark III, except for two lawyerly things... I don't like the chambered round indicator and I don't like the mag safety. Other than that, I think Ruger has a winner. It is a little lighter than the Target model or the Mark II Target because of the fluted barrel, but if I could have a brand new stainless Mark II Target, I would take it in a heartbeat over the Mark III Hunter. The only thing the Mark III has over the II is the more modern magazine release.

There is a TALO variety of the hunter that has a 5.5" barrel. I prefer that one to the 6 and change barrel or the 4 and change barrel.

If you're dry firing your new rimfire, what are you doing to protect the firing pin?

The Ruger Mark III's have a pin in the bolt that goes through an oval cut-out in the firing pin to prevent it from hitting the breach. Check out the exploded diagram in the owners manual. You'll be able to pick it out. Part of the procedure for field stripping the Mark III involves dry firing the pistol. And Ruger does make a point about making sure that pin doesn't fall out when removing or re-installing the bolt.

I bought a couple hundred rounds each of the CCI mini mags and the Federal Auto Match ammo to try out. Figured I'd use the CCI first and then try the Federal.

As I said, I considered upgrading the action. I'm also thinking about deleting the magazine disconnect. Don't remember where I saw it, but there is a delete kit for the loaded chamber indicator also. I think it consisted of a plastic snap-in "cover" plate that installs in the groove after the indicator is removed.

I'll see as time progresses how I get along with each of those items. I love to tinker with stuff -- it's a curse!

The Ruger Mark III's have a pin in the bolt that goes through an oval cut-out in the firing pin to prevent it from hitting the breach.

I didn't know that. Now there's another thing to like about these, and I'll probably twitch less next time I get to that part in the field stripping.

Just picked up my Talo 5.5" Ruger MKiii Hunter model from Tony at TJ Sporting Arms on Friday, and took it out this weekend. It is very accurate and well balanced. My daughter has only gone shooting once before, and even she was hitting our Caldwell resetting target at 10 yards very quickly. Very happy with the purchase.

Eileen

I prefer the partridge sights on the Target model...

Just so we're clear here. This is a Partridge...

20hwyf6.jpg

This is a Patridge...

25fn2pt.jpg

That is all.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

... but there is a delete kit for the loaded chamber indicator also. I think it consisted of a plastic snap-in "cover" plate that installs in the groove after the indicator is removed.

I'll see as time progresses how I get along with each of those items. I love to tinker with stuff -- it's a curse!

If you are replacing it, why bother? It would still visually show the hole in the side of the frame, and if the hole is there, you might as well have the use of the chambered round indicator. I just wouldn't have it at all.

Just so we're clear here. This is a Partridge...

2w1w4rm.jpg

This is a Patridge...

25fn2pt.jpg

That is all.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the info. However, it looks like a peacock to me, and generally I prefer Bald Eagles over the two.

I still like the stock Target sights better than the Hunter sights. Maybe someday I will revolve.

If you are replacing it, why bother? It would still visually show the hole in the side of the frame, and if the hole is there, you might as well have the use of the chambered round indicator. I just wouldn't have it at all.

I don't mind the way it looks and I really don't care that it's there at all. I'm thinking in terms of it causing extraction or ejection problems. I've read of others online that have had some problems due to the pressure on the casing.

If mine doesn't cause any problems I'll leave it in place. If it does cause problems, or I think it may be causing problems, I'll disable it and see if it is actually the problem. If it is, then I'd decide whether to leave it disabled or remove it and insert a plastic or stainless steel plug. I would never just leave it empty.

Stainless Steel Plug:

http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100169/IMG_2567.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12907322530001

http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100169/IMG_2571/web.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to go to the range yesterday for the first time with my new Hunter. Put 140 rounds of CCI Mini Mags through it (with the help of Pizza Bob.... thanks PB!) and not a single FTE or FTF. The gun ran perfectly!

The only negative: I couldn't pick up the red fiber optic front sight in the dim light, so switched to the green. It helped but still wasn't ideal in the indoor range. Couldn't be my 58 y/o eyes could it? Naah.... Should be much better at the outdoor range.

This pistol is definitely a keeper.

Finally got a chance to go to the range yesterday for the first time with my new Hunter. Put 140 rounds of CCI Mini Mags through it (with the help of Pizza Bob.... thanks PB!) and not a single FTE or FTF. The gun ran perfectly!

The only negative: I couldn't pick up the red fiber optic front sight in the dim light, so switched to the green. It helped but still wasn't ideal in the indoor range. Couldn't be my 58 y/o eyes could it? Naah.... Should be much better at the outdoor range.

This pistol is definitely a keeper.

Yea, I have the same issue at the indoor range I attend. I've not had the opportunity to shoot outside, but I've sighted it and it looks much better in the outdoors.