Sign in to follow this  
Dan

1983 Olds Toronado carb issues

Its probably Has a Q-jet .

#1 check for a cracked vacuum line.

#2 idle mixture screws may need an adjustment.

#3 the needle and seat may be shot

#4 bad gas or clogged fuel filter

#5 check for a cracked dist cap, sometimes a ignition problem can have the same symptoms

new ethanal blend gas is bad for older carbs. stabil makes a product thats made to lessen the corrosive effects of new gas on older motors. pour it in with every tank. also, i remember hearing somewhere a company makes a carb rebuild kit specifically for ethanal gas. replaces rubber seals with neoprene or something newer that doesnt degrade with new gas.

If you were closer I would fix it for you , or if you could drive it over . All I would want is if you would guest me in to your range , I am thinking of joining in june and want to see what it is like . 45 years of working on cars , I also own a streetrod .

Thanks for the info guys!

Grumpy, it is actually a buddy/acquaintance of mine's car. I don't know him all that well, so I wouldn't ask for a favor. If you are willing, I can put you in touch with him, charge him a reasonable fee for your time. He is just having trouble finding anyone that knows how to work on these things, and will be more than happy to pay.

I'd still be happy to guest you to CJ so you can check it out regardless. Shoot me a PM if you would like me to put you in touch with the car's owner and/or to get in touch for the next time I head over to CJ.