keithco88

New to fishing, Union County

I haven't been fishing since I was about 10 and I'd like to at least have some equipment around the house in case I decide I'd like to catch my own dinner for a change. So I've got some real rookie questions and will probably be laughed at, but if you have answers from experience or could point me to some sites relevant to our area that'd be much appreciated. So far i've found this (http://www.fishingreportsnow.com/New_Jersey_Fishing_Reports_Pro.cfm/reg/5/city/172/cityname/Central-Jersey.html) plus an NJ fishing forum...but I like you guys better

1) Is there even anything decent to catch around here (central nj)? What kind of fish (freshwater) do we have?

2) Recommendations on an inexpensive rod & reel combo that's NOT made in China? Yes I'm willing to spend more, I'm just sick of sending more money to China and dealing with crap customer service WHEN it breaks...because my luck/experience is that it's not an IF but a WHEN.

3) bait/lures for said fish that work on said rod/reel combo

I'm gonna be at Cabelas in CT next weekend and hope to be able to bother some poor employee into helping me as well, but if you guys have any silver bullets based on your local experience I'd appreciate the input.

There is only one fish to fish for in New Jersey fresh water trout. IMO, meals on wheels, but still fun. # 1 Rockaway river in Rockaway, # 2 Flat brook in Flat Brook and # 3 Green brook in Watchung. Also Paulinskill is also on my to do list. What ever have fun kill some time and take a kid. As for equipment, go to Dicks or any other store and buy what feels good. Don't spend a lot of money. You can always add later.

Here is a good place to start: http://njbassanglers.com/. Membership well worth the money for the knowledge and resources you'll gain from hanging around there.

I don't know where you are in Union County, but there is a rich and varied bunch of fishing holes there, from Surprise Lake and Echo Park Pond in Mountainside, to Nomahegan Pond in Cranford, all healthy with Largemouth bass, along with some perch, crappies, etc. Trout season just opened last week, but I'd expect most of them to be dead and gone by now except in the deepest portions of any stocked bodies of water.

Good luck and have fun!

If you're going to venture out of Union County, and someone is nice enough to rig you up for some trout, then head immediately for Hot Dog Johnny's in Buttzville on Rte. 46. In-between hot dogs and root beers, you can toss your lines into the beautiful Pequest River that runs right behind the joint. No better way to spend a sunny spring day, IMO.

There is only one fish to fish for in New Jersey fresh water trout. IMO, meals on wheels, but still fun. # 1 Rockaway river in Rockaway, # 2 Flat brook in Flat Brook and # 3 Green brook in Watchung. Also Paulinskill is also on my to do list. What ever have fun kill some time and take a kid. As for equipment, go to Dicks or any other store and buy what feels good. Don't spend a lot of money. You can always add later.

Except for Greenbrook, the others were my normal places to go fishing..